Young Rooster Randomly Dies? **Help**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sandbellie, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I had 7 chickens, and I found one of the younger rooster dead in his coop. The other 6 were fine. I checked the chicken to make sure he didn't have any wounds, which he didn't. He was also fine this morning; up and walking around. The shocker is that he was under 6 months old. And I didn't see any signs of a sickness. So what could have happen?

I really would like to see if I can pin point anything. Or does this type of sudden death happen every once in awhile?

Thanks so much!

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Sudden death can happen. It could be something genetic. I'm sorry for your loss.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    There is a cause of death in chickens known as "flip over." It is sudden onset, no previous symptoms, and the bird is usually found on it's back. It is as a result of a previously unknown/undiagnosed heart problem. It is most common in roos. Is it similar to what you found? If so, then there is nothing you could have done. It just happens.

Sorry for your loss.

4. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:He wasn't on his back, but other than that...it sounds pretty accurate. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by