1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young rooster(s) almost killed hen. Will they outgrow this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mattsculpt, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Mattsculpt

Mattsculpt Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    I have 6 hens a year old and 2 roosters and 1 pullet 4 months old. The 3 younger ones where hatched and raised by a broody hen in my flock from shipped eggs. About two weeks ago the roosters started mating with the hens. No problem at first, then yesterday morning the two roosters started chasing my Australorp around the yard to mate with her. She is not the dominate hen. The creole rooster was the most aggressive pulling feathers from her neck. She hid under the shed and I was going to separate the roosters from the flock last evening when they went to roost. I tried catching the roosters before that without success. Apparently they got to her during the day as that afternoon I found her hiding in the coop her head and neck ripped open to meat. She is recovering in the house right now, doing pretty good eating and drinking.
    The roosters are in a pen by themselves. I was planning on keeping the creole rooster for breeding but I won't if this is not something they will outgrow. I don't want hen aggressive roosters. I'd rather have chicken soup. Any suggestions from old hands?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get rid of one rooster as soon as is possible. Multiple roosters gang breeding hens can cause injuries. Generally roosters mellow out as they mature and when they no longer have to compete/cooperate with other roosters. Once you are down to one rooster, if his behavior does not improve - replace him. No need for keeping over aggressive roosters.

3. Mattsculpt

Mattsculpt Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    That's what I'll try. Any thoughts on how long to keep the remaining rooster separate from the hens? What age do they mellow out?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep him out at least until the injured hen is healed. Then when you put him back monitor his behavior. There will be some initial chasing and maybe even scuffling - it should soon settle down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by