1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young rooster showing redeeming qualities

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rolffamily, Dec 3, 2010.

1. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have 4 GLW pullets and 1 rooster, all about 7 months old. The rooster, Captain Cluck, has been on the 'watch list' because I think he is more than mean to the girls. However, he is showing some redeeming qualities. In the morning lately, when I open the door to let them out into the run, the girls sprint off, but if there are any eggs in the nest, Captain wil not leave the coop. He just paces around and guards them. I don't have any problems going in to collect so far, but I do keep an eye on him. I am thinking that me might very well be a keeper yet.

2. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Once hes got'em in line he'll just talk to them and they'll get down, he'll hop on do his thing and hop off, not much pain, but they'll have to mind otherwise he puts'em down. He would like 4-8 more hens but 4 better than none.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by