young rooster trying to kill older hen

CanadaEh

Songster
May 31, 2018
Canada
About 2.5 months ago 16 two months old leghorn & leghorn X pullets and one 2 months old leghorn cockerel from the brooder were introduced to 1.5 year old hen.
The new pullets tried to peck her, but she stood the ground and they left you along, The cockerel stopped crowing and became may be 1/3rd from the top of pecking order, keeping low profile.

About 2 weeks ago the cockerel started to mate with some pullets, resumed crowing after 2 months of silence, and started to act like a dominant rooster rather than a chicken. Then about 1 week ago he has ripped apart the older hen's comb. I have isolated her in a cage in the same coop for about 5 days for her to heal and things to settle down and tried to reintroduce her yesterday, but with no luck. The young rooster wanted to keep her away from the rest of the flock, then chasing and cornering her, and pecking her head and comb until I intervened. I have caged *him* this time around.

Will it cool him down? For how long should I keep him caged before trying to reintroduce him? He has no problems with the pullets whatsoever. There is a peace in between hens now with the rooster locked down.

I would think it could be because the pullets accept him. I think it's likely your older hen isn't accepting him. So he is still trying to mate, even though she doesn't want to.
Your poor hen! How badly was her comb hurt?

I would think it could be because the pullets accept him. I think it's likely your older hen isn't accepting him. So he is still trying to mate, even though she doesn't want to.
initially may be, but now he just wants to keep her away from the flock and bits her up, not trying to mount her
Your poor hen! How badly was her comb hurt?
she has fully recovered in 5 days from what I can tell other than blood stains over her head and neck

I personally wouldn't keep that cockeral. He needs to mature more, which generally means a few months or until next year. Penning him separately for a good long time may help. I meaning months. A rooster should protect all the hens, not pick and choose.
That would suck either way :(. He is gentle with all other hens, so I hope it is some temporary glitch in his brain. Already culled all other cockerels at 2 months age, selecting this one by biggest comb & wattles :(

Will it cool him down? For how long should I keep him caged before trying to reintroduce him? He has no problems with the pullets whatsoever.
They accept his dominance because they were raised together and the hen does not acknowledge it because he's still a boy.

If I was going to keep him.. which would NOT be likely after brutalizing a hen instead of trying to win her over.. he would need to stay in his own pen until he learned some manners... Hormones are raging in his idiot teen brain right now, almost the longest day the year means FULLY enhanced testosterone influenced brain right now and he hasn't yet figured out how to control them Stew PIdasso thoughts he's having.

Many of my boys do get to gain control over themselves in a stag pen before being allowed access to the ladies or sent to freezer camp. And yes I do also mean MONTHS or around December when hormones driven by daylight are at their lowest is when I would try for THIS boy after a long period of look but don't touch.

As he is described.. he is already showing "sneaky bastard" ways. I would cull (sell, eat. give away, compost) and add a different young cockerel earlier so the hen(s) can teach him manners early on and will rise through the ranks more conducively??

:fl

They accept his dominance because they were raised together and the hen does not acknowledge it because he's still a boy.

If I was going to keep him.. which would NOT be likely after brutalizing a hen instead of trying to win her over.. he would need to stay in his own pen until he learned some manners... Hormones are raging in his idiot teen brain right now, almost the longest day the year means FULLY enhanced testosterone influenced brain right now and he hasn't yet figured out how to control them Stew PIdasso thoughts he's having.

Many of my boys do get to gain control over themselves in a stag pen before being allowed access to the ladies or sent to freezer camp. And yes I do also mean MONTHS or around December when hormones driven by daylight are at their lowest is when I would try for THIS boy after a long period of look but don't touch.

As he is described.. he is already showing "sneaky bastard" ways. I would cull (sell, eat. give away, compost) and add a different young cockerel earlier so the hen(s) can teach him manners early on and will rise through the ranks more conducively??

:fl
I agree completely. I generally pen mine until late fall. Most behave through winter. The following spring some need rounding up again. Most settle by 2 years. I also have older roosters that help keep most young ones in line. I have seen the worse boys turn around, and others stay rotten and they go to the freezer.

That would suck either way :(. He is gentle with all other hens, so I hope it is some temporary glitch in his brain. Already culled all other cockerels at 2 months age, selecting this one by biggest comb & wattles :(
2 months is too early to cull as hormones haven't really started setting in yet.. the one who get hormones first gets bigger comb and wattles first.. it's not relevant to end size IMO.. I try not to cull boys before 16 weeks.

If you like him and the new gals and don't want to pen him.. maybe re-homing the older hen is the best option.

Can't help but wonder though.. who's the next victim on his list?? When will get quit again and suddenly attack as his confidence builds even more? :confused:

Hormones are raging in his idiot teen brain right now, almost the longest day the year means FULLY enhanced testosterone influenced brain right now and he hasn't yet figured out how to control them Stew PIdasso thoughts he's having.

it gets dark here around 9pm now, but I have still supplemental light in a coop on until 11pm (never changed the timer since winter). Would reducing daylight hours help and would you reduce it gradually over a few days or at once and how many days would it take to see the effect?

2 months is too early to cull as hormones haven't really started setting in yet.. the one who get hormones first gets bigger comb and wattles first.. it's not relevant to end size IMO.. I try not to cull boys before 16 weeks.
the feed was getting expensive. I recall now he was also the smallest cockerel (but with the biggest comb/wattles) so I figured also a good trait for purely egg laying breed. I have kept BR roos until 16 weeks I think,but it was hard to determine who will be gentle with girls as they all were just rough at that time when there was so much competition between them.

If you like him and the new gals and don't want to pen him.. maybe re-homing the older hen is the best option.
yes, considering that possibility as well or soup. That chicken went broody twice within one month period (may be laying 7 eggs in between).

Back
Top Bottom