Young Rooster who breathes in through mouth noisy shakes head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newbiechickenowner, Oct 28, 2009.

1. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Hello. I am completely new and, although I have a thousand questions, my first is that my new rooster, Henry (Rhode Island Red) appears "healthy", but he breathes through his mouth and is loud when he does it. He seems to tilt his head just slightly and shakes it alot. He appears otherwise healthy. Does not have a cough that I noticed. I inspected his eyes, beak, nostrils and all seem bright and shiny. There is a little crud in his nostrils, but no more than any other chicken I ahve checked so far. He doesn't appear to be in distress when he is breathing, just very loudly through his mouth and his chest puffs out with each inhalation. Shiny feathers, eats fine, etc. etc. Anyone have any CLUE????

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    He has some sort of respiratory problem. I don't know the solution, but if you post this in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section, you will get a lot of responses.

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

[​IMG] from England!! Glad you joined us!

Sorry, I cant help with the problem, but definitely post in the Emergency/Diseases/Injuries and Cure section.

Good luck [​IMG]

4. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Oh thanks....that is how new I am! Just posted in the introductions section [​IMG] can you tell I just got my password and login? I am in northern Vermont, did lots of research, built a great coop and run and added 15 hens with 2 roosters, all just about 4-5 months old. My research showed that everyone does it differently and it still seems to work out [​IMG]

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope you get the answers you need.

6. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    thanks that so nice!

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

~*~WeLcOmE to BYC~*~ from SWVA

Glad that you have found us!

8. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Good luck on figuring out what's going on with your rooster. [​IMG]

9. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Hello. What do I do if no one answers my post? I put the rooster post on the emergencies/diseases and i haven't heard a word....There are a lot of other posts that came in later with tons of answers. Does that just mean that no one knows? or, did it get lost? I can't figure out how to update it or delete it and start again.... quite frankly. I can't figure out how to post another question. I am a bit LOST..... [​IMG]

10. TheGoldenRoo

TheGoldenRoo A Crazy and Fun Chicken

Oct 15, 2009
    ND
    Quote:Yeah me too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by