young rooster with pale comb stopped crowing Update-he's doing well!

Henrietta23

Songster
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
Eastern CT
I have a not quite 3 month old roo who started crowing but has stopped. His comb had been red but has now gotten pale. He was in with 2 other roos that hatched the same time he did but he was getting a little aggressive with them so I put him in a separate dog crate where he could see them but not reach them. Since then he seems grumpy and sad. I've since moved him out to the garden shed where he is in a larger kennel and can see the adult hens who come over and socialize with him. Any thoughts? He is eating, drinking and pooping normally. Thanks!
OliverMay132.jpg

Last edited:
No sign of either. His comb doesn't look so much scabbed to me as pale and dryish. I checked him all over as best as I could with a flash light as I held him on my knee. I looked under feathers, under his wings and tail, around his ears and on his head. If there was anything there I probably would have seen it?

Quote:
Nope, he's been strictly indoors until this weekend and I noticed this before then. Would that still be a possibility? The only other thing I can add is that he really wants to be out with the girls.

So I've ordered some food grade DE. Is it even possible a chicken that's never been outdoors could get worms? Do they get them from the ground?
Another thought, could this be a nutritional issue? This roo is almost three months old. I've been feeding him starter/grower feed. Could he need something more at this point? I only have layer pellets other than the chick starter/grower.

hey hen,
i'm sorry that oliver is givin' you such trouble!
i hope that one of our experienced chicken folk come along with a conclusive answer soon - i'm almost as curious as you are.
i wonder if it isn't the starter feed? is it medicated? i've heard/read that the antibiotic can build up in the chicken's body and make them sick. maybe he is having liver problems? liver problems in animals and people can cause color changes in their skin.
okay - let's see who can offer some more ideas!
(i'm sending oliver some good vibes
fl.gif
)
hang in there

Back
Top Bottom