1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

young rooster with pale comb stopped crowing Update-he's doing well!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Henrietta23, May 13, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I have a not quite 3 month old roo who started crowing but has stopped. His comb had been red but has now gotten pale. He was in with 2 other roos that hatched the same time he did but he was getting a little aggressive with them so I put him in a separate dog crate where he could see them but not reach them. Since then he seems grumpy and sad. I've since moved him out to the garden shed where he is in a larger kennel and can see the adult hens who come over and socialize with him. Any thoughts? He is eating, drinking and pooping normally. Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Have you checked for mites or lice?

3. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Will do that. Thanks for the tip.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I was thinking the same....he has a bit of scabbing on his comb so maybe.

5. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Going out to check with a flash light

6. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    No sign of either. His comb doesn't look so much scabbed to me as pale and dryish. I checked him all over as best as I could with a flash light as I held him on my knee. I looked under feathers, under his wings and tail, around his ears and on his head. If there was anything there I probably would have seen it?

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Have you wormed them recently?

8. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Nope, he's been strictly indoors until this weekend and I noticed this before then. Would that still be a possibility? The only other thing I can add is that he really wants to be out with the girls.

9. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    So I've ordered some food grade DE. Is it even possible a chicken that's never been outdoors could get worms? Do they get them from the ground?
    Another thought, could this be a nutritional issue? This roo is almost three months old. I've been feeding him starter/grower feed. Could he need something more at this point? I only have layer pellets other than the chick starter/grower.

10. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hey hen,
    i'm sorry that oliver is givin' you such trouble!
    i hope that one of our experienced chicken folk come along with a conclusive answer soon - i'm almost as curious as you are.
    i wonder if it isn't the starter feed? is it medicated? i've heard/read that the antibiotic can build up in the chicken's body and make them sick. maybe he is having liver problems? liver problems in animals and people can cause color changes in their skin.
    okay - let's see who can offer some more ideas!
    (i'm sending oliver some good vibes [​IMG])
    hang in there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by