Young Rooster wont coop anymore?!! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenpiedpiper, Dec 2, 2008.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I have a lovely heated coop, with 22 birds, this years crop of babies, produced three young Roos. My resident rooster Chester tolerates them, but now makes sure they stay on the outskirts. Well, now My biggest young Roo (6 month blue laced red wyandotte) is refusing to go in the coop at night. he hunkers down on our front porch, or worse, (what he is doing right now) he gets up and looks in the window at where I am working at clucks at me to let him in. Something we havent done since early to mid summer. I have had to carry him in to the coop for last two nights.

The other young roos go in last, after chester has settled down. Chester is a smallish rooster, (black sex-link) but an unbelievable defender, and confirmed hawk killer.

Any ideas how to get this young bird back into the routine? It is too cold, and predator ridden around here to let him stay out.
    [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh how cute is that that he stares at you through the window. that would break my heart, sucker that I am. Have you tried picking him up and just putting him in there?

3. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd continue to take him to the coop and hope he will get in his mind that this is where I am supposed to roost.
    Another thing I'd look at is how much space there is in the coop.
    Sounds like the little roo is close enough to scare the others from roosting.

4. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    @migocontodos~ :

I'd continue to take him to the coop and hope he will get in his mind that this is where I am supposed to roost.
    Another thing I'd look at is how much space there is in the coop.
    Sounds like the little roo is close enough to scare the others from roosting.

There is enough room for every one, but I am sure that chester is the problem, last night I called and lured the young roo to the coop and opened the door, and he was going right for it until he saw chester was still down on the floor. He turned and high tailed it. Sad since he is at least 3 times Chesters size!!

I am wondering now, if he has decided that I take him in when its 'safe'? but he doesnt like to be caught much either, and is getting savvy on me. I am afraid he might start crawling under the porch instead, and then the local fishers or what not will get him. My dogs are too big to get under there and help him if that happens!​

5. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Well, I just had to go out and finally scoop him up and put him away into the coop. He was not happy about me catching him, and I can tell he's thinking tomorrow I am not gonna be able too. Grrr. I wont be able to sleep if I know he is outside. I even tried leaving the other side of our coop/shed open with a light on, as he used to get confused as a youngster and try to roost in there. No good, he didnt want even that, just the porch...... I would like to keep him cause of his size, we have a real hawk problem here, and Chester will be no match for a realy big and determined one, he will need help.

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Is there any way you could hang a trapeze-like thingee for him to use on your porch? Not sure if it's got a roof or not. If it does, that's a possibility. I had a roo named Chester too. He limped like the Chester on Gunsmoke (50's tv western). Good luck to you!!

7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like Chester has sent him packing. He's probably afraid Chester is going to get him as he enters the coop. I'm not sure what to tell you other than to provide him some other safe place to roost. You can't force roosters to get along. Either they will or they won't. Sometimes it just takes a little time for them to sort things out so you may try continuing what you're doing.

8. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Quote:If it was warmer here, I wouldnt mind rigging something on the porch, but it gets REALLY cold here at night, 15* predicted tonight, and we always have a bitter breeze off the local wetlands. His comb and wattles would freeze solid, and I just cant bear the thought of that needless pain. Frostbite hurts like hell! Thats also not mentioning the predators. We live pretty remotely. I have tried to rehome these young roo's, but we all know how tough that can be. he is too sweet to eat. Fooey. Im stumped too!

9. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Well, I meant to mention, he is a GORGEOUS fellow!! Wish I could take him off your hands. If it were me, I KNOW I would give in and fix him up a place in the house. LOL As it is, I have a little house guest I am keeping in the house until I can find a home for him! [​IMG]

10. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Can you build him a little doghouse-type coop? I have a couple that I use for broody hens. Seems like that might work for the poor little guy.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by