Young roosters challanging me?

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
I have 7 Bantam chickens raised them from chicks. 5 hens and two roosters. 5 months old and everything has been fine. Now they, (The two roosters) are trying to mount the hens. The last three days the two amigos have started confronting me. Is this just teenage hormones or are they going to be mean roosters? The are mostly Golden Sebrights.

Advice please.

oldhenlikesdogs

Great Horny Toads
Staff member
Premium member
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
Sounds like trouble to me. Generally once they start it's hard to stop. I broke a d'uccle from that behavior once by tossing my plastic feed scoop at him every chance I got. It never hurt him but startled him enough that he eventually ran the other way. You also could try something like a squirt gun. You may or may not be successful. Bantams can be feisty.

I would definitely remove at least one from your pullets, and probably both as they will get constantly mated by them.

FeatherstoneFrm

Songster
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Appling, GA
I have two cockerel about the same age. they established pecking order very early and the top roo, Hank challenged me a few times. If he flew at me, I kicked him back. If he bit me, I pecked him hard on the back with a finger. As my daughter says, we had a "come to Jesus" and he is actually turning into a good roo. Protective of the 5 week olds added to the flock. He has just started mounting 1 pullet this week.
Lil'bit, the other cockerel tried more recent tly to bite me and was was .ore easily convinced that it was not a good idea.
Assert yourself and show them whose boss.

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
Sounds like trouble to me. Generally once they start it's hard to stop. I broke a d'uccle from that behavior once by tossing my plastic feed scoop at him every chance I got. It never hurt him but startled him enough that he eventually ran the other way. You also could try something like a squirt gun. You may or may not be successful. Bantams can be feisty.

I would definitely remove at least one from your pullets, and probably both as they will get constantly mated by them.

I kinda wanted to keep one of them around, The most aggressive one I threw a corn husks at today. Looks like one may get fried and try a squirt gun on the other.

oldhenlikesdogs

Great Horny Toads
Staff member
Premium member
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I kinda wanted to keep one of them around, The most aggressive one I threw a corn husks at today. Looks like one may get fried and try a squirt gun on the other.
Sounds like a good place to start. The one may behave more without his side kick. I always like to remove one and pen it elsewhere to see how the dynamics change, and to see if the other one is better. I only had seabright roosters once. The one was wonderful, the other one I couldn't get rid of fast enough. He was the smallest roast chicken ever.

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
I have two cockerel about the same age. they established pecking order very early and the top roo, Hank challenged me a few times. If he flew at me, I kicked him back. If he bit me, I pecked him hard on the back with a finger. As my daughter says, we had a "come to Jesus" and he is actually turning into a good roo. Protective of the 5 week olds added to the flock. He has just started mounting 1 pullet this week.
Lil'bit, the other cockerel tried more recent tly to bite me and was was .ore easily convinced that it was not a good idea.
Assert yourself and show them whose boss.

I will try your advice. So far every time they came at me I went strait after them. and they backed off.
Sounds like a good place to start. The one may behave more without his side kick. I always like to remove one and pen it elsewhere to see how the dynamics change, and to see if the other one is better. I only had seabright roosters once. The one was wonderful, the other one I couldn't get rid of fast enough. He was the smallest roast chicken ever.
I had one of them fly strait at my head yesterday as I walked away. I turned around just in time to see him coming. He aborted his attack when I turned.

Glitterchicks

Free Ranging
Apr 11, 2018
Boise, Idaho
I have 7 Bantam chickens raised them from chicks. 5 hens and two roosters. 5 months old and everything has been fine. Now they, (The two roosters) are trying to mount the hens. The last three days the two amigos have started confronting me. Is this just teenage hormones or are they going to be mean roosters? The are mostly Golden Sebrights.

Advice please.
I just got rid of my silver sebright. He is satan's spawn. So pretty, but so mean! Id have kept him if it weren't for my kids. I have no advice, but BEST OF LUCK!!

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
They smell your fear.
Just grab their legs and cradle them in your arms to show them who's in control.
It's a pecking order. Where are you?
Central Illinois. They really don't scare me. They should be feeling I am pissed every time they do it. . I think maybe they mistake my walking away as fear. I will try your method.

Latest posts

Top Bottom