young roosters dogging elderly BO!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeannieo, Nov 9, 2009.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I have five banties of which two are roos, one half blind cochin (a total sweetie) and a black silkie who protects his 3 girls with his life. I also have 20 standard size hens and two roosters that I raised from one week old (the two rooster and four of the hens). A friend had given me 12 babies of which 7 were roosters! The sweetest hen died and I did manage to rehome five of the roosters to good homes where they would not end up in the freezer. Before Liam and Seamus (the 2 big roos) grew to be so big, Sidney (the silkie) was the BMOC, mating with just his three little banty hens and actually protecting Spencer (half blind cochin) when the RIR's got too nasty. All was relative harmony until Liam and Seamus came into their rampant sexuality. They both decided they were IN LOVE [​IMG] with Kate Smith (elderly BO) and they half ripped her comb off. (another post of mine dealt with that and I did perform surgery to remove the piece that was flopping and she's fine and it was no where near as traumatic as I thought it would be! but I digress!) Sidney is still the boss man chasing Liam and Seamus every chance he gets and it is so funny to watch! [​IMG] [​IMG] However I'm afraid that the two big boys will figure out that they are three times Sidney and Spencers size and something bad will happen, so I've got the banties, Kate Smith, and two newbies in one third of the coop and the other hens and roosters in the other 2/3. Should it be the other way around?Should I have Liam and Seamus in the one third and everybody else in the bigger part (with the pen BTW, the smaller part does not have a pen yet but I'm working on it). Or should I rehome one of the big roosters or both and just keep my two little banty roosters and let harmony prevail?I let everyone out into the yard yesterday and Liam and Seamus both immediately made a bee line for Kate Smith! Poor thing!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think that maybe you have too many roosters.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Time to rehome the big boys, or send them to freezer camp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by