Young RP/Sweetgrass turkey poult surprisingly meaty.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Denninmi, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    One of the poults that I hatched almost exactly 2 months ago managed to do something to try to kill itself, I believe it caught its head in the mesh and opened a wound. The others may have contributed and pecked at it -- this happened while I was at work. It had exposed skull and was obviously suffering, so I dispatched it.

It was really only about the size of a small grocery store fryer in terms of bone structure, and of course, doesn't have the meatiness of a cornish cross chicken by any means. But, I was still surprised at how meaty it was, not bad for the size. I fried it up like chicken, and I have to tell you, it was excellent quality and flavor, extremely tender as one would think.

Cornish turkey, anyone. I wonder if this has ever been done?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's good to know. I think I'd like to get as much size as possible, since the poults aren't cheap, but maybe it pencils out to make turkey fryers.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Well, I've got 18 of these left now. They didn't cost me anything except the loss of a few omelets and th electricity to run the incubator for 4 weeks. Plus whatever feed they've eaten to this point.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    That's great to know. I plan on processing some poults I have come Thanksgiving, but they will only be around 20 weeks, not the 30 recommended, since there is only two of us to feed I am hoping they will be big enough. [​IMG]

5. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    From experience i can tell you that the toms will be plenty meaty and the hens less so at 20 weeks. Toms are about optimal at 30 weeks. I prefer to let hens go closer to a year for yield and extra eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by