Young Sebrights Helping Me Grieve

leighjay33

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
Thomaston, GA
Hey y'all! I'm sorry to get off to a depressing start. My 29 yr old daughter recently passed away and I'm consumed with grief. My whole world fell to pieces and I want to die and join her in Heaven most days. I've been living at an RV park for the last year in a 2016 Gulfstream Travel Trailer with my husband & Boston Terrier (still getting used to that!) and 2 weeks ago my neighbor came home with a cage containing 4 young Sebright Bantams. I was instantly smitten and demanded he let me chicken-sit them. I don't know anything about chickens, so it's been a fun learning experience. My 4 "kids" are gorgeous, 2 silver-laced roosters, 1 silver girl and 1 golden girl. A friend donated an old coop and I've been doing my best to keep them happy. I put them in a large dog pen covered with some netting during the day so they can scratch and gossip. I already love them, and surprisingly they have helped take my mind off of losing my daughter. I find myself sitting outside with them for hours, watching them and it brings me some peace. I'm not sure of their age, I'm guessing around 10-12 weeks. I found BYC during a search for tips on caring for Sebrights. I want to expand their coop, and add a nesting box & attached run. Anyway thank y'all for including me in your community, I have already learned a lot!! UPDATE: Today I discovered my best boy Petey was on the perch holding his foot up. I looked closer and it appears he has broke a nail and/or toe! What can I do for him? He doesn't want to put pressure on it and has become quite fussy with the others. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• AirBrush_20190920160959.jpg
    AirBrush_20190920160959.jpg
    760.4 KB · Views: 24
I'm so sorry to read about your daughter. :hugs
I can't begin to imagine how hard that must be.
I always knew chickens were very relaxing and they certainly help me with the day to day stress of being an Alzheimer's caregiver but the extent to which they are soothing you is wonderful.
As for poor Petey, there really isn't a lot to do for him other than spray the area that looks damaged with a disinfectant like Vetericyn or similar and keep him confined in a cage with soft bedding for several days to restrict movement while things start to heal.

Welcome! So sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter, it is devastating to lose a child. Finding comfort and distraction, a little peace caring for your chickens is wonderful! Vetericyn is great if you can get it. If you don’t try soaking his foot in a bit of epsom salt water, keep him confined on a soft surface for a few days. Hopefully he’ll heal quickly

Welcome to the flock here at BYC, sorry to hear about your daughter but so glad these amazing birds can help so many people, if it wasn't for mine some days living with pain and not being able to do much for it I would probably just lay down and wait. They can be amazing salves to the soul as well as motivators for getting up when you don't feel like it.

Back
Top Bottom