Young Serama chicks...any guesses??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nekhebet, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    So, I'd just love to know the gender of my birds, if only so I can name them. So far I've named one, who I *think* might be a boy just from the size of his comb in comparison to a similarly sized/aged bird. If anyone has any clue what sex these guys are, it'd be awesome. Thanks for the help!! [​IMG]

Chick 1, white with black spots on wings/tail:[​IMG]

Chick 2: Black and white wings: [​IMG]

Chick 3: Brown ? [​IMG]
    Chick 4: White n black: [​IMG]
    Chick 5: Zombie...I think this is a boy, he's the bravest one at least, the largest and has a larger comb in between him and Chick 4: [​IMG]

2. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    i think they are all roos

3. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    How old are they? Mine have crowed their first little baby crow at about a month old. Very cute
    Aside from the obvious crowing, the pullets combs are far tinier than the roosters and remain the pale, sort of orange color. The little boys, when they get riled up have much more red in the comb. The little pullets will fight too but they don't get that flash of red color in the comb when they do challenge another.

4. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:=O
    If so, I have the WORST pick of the draw.... ever

5. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:I'd imagine the last two are about 3-4 weeks old? I got them on the 30th of last month. The little white one only had a couple of tiny tiny white feathers on his wings, and of the other two, only one of them had the tiniest little poke of a starter feather from it's rump.

Not sure if that helps...I didn't ask when I bought them!

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:Why? Number 5 is a roo for sure and maybe #4.

7. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Im pretty sure the last one (#5?) is a roo.. the one before that (#4) may be one too..
    The first three I think are too young to tell!
    Just keep watching the combs like Smoothmule said.
    Get us updated pics in another month! [​IMG]
    Hope they are not all roos and you get some little girls! [​IMG]

8. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    #5 is a roo. The rest it is still too early to tell. I am willing to say you have at least three pullets in there. The serama breed throws people off because of their distinctive tail and stance that is present in both sexes. The pullets will start to get red combs at about 12-14 weeks as well though so don't automatically count one out because of it's comb.

9. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Hey Alanna....
    Here is a pic that might help some for age reference later.....
    You can see the light frizzled pullet in the front... she is nearing 5 months old now along with her 'brothers' on each side.. you can see the comb difference. If you look toward the back, you can see pullets that are just over 4 months old--see how small and light their combs are? A big difference for a just couple of weeks age difference. [​IMG]
    In my line, buy 2-3 months I'm usually able to get a pretty accurate guess from combs. Hope the top three are girls!

[​IMG]

I was thinking....
    The top three maybe you can give unisex names to.. you know.. Sam could be Samantha... and Mike could me Mikaela....or Erin could be Aaron.. lol [​IMG] Or just give them REALLY girly names and pray to chicken gods for girls.

If you are the Vulture-Goddess [​IMG]

and I'm the Cat-goddess [​IMG]

we can maybe pull some strings, lol

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'm just here to see cute Serama pics. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by