Young Serama Silkie Roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JAMcG, Jan 5, 2010.

1. JAMcG

JAMcG New Egg

Jan 5, 2010
    Hello! I'm just new to this forum, and was hoping someone out there could tell me what is wrong with my little serama rooster. I hatched him last summer, and he appeared to be normal as a chick. As he continued to grow, however, his body has become more and more contorted. So much so, he now has trouble walking. I am new at raising Seramas, and just decided to hatch some for fun, starting with a a pair of silkie Seramas I had gotten from a breeder. All the chicks were normal except for this one...it began with his tail bending sideways, so I thought he was going to be one of those "extreme" autogayas (not sure spelling), but his tail is like backwards now, and his body is twisted in a bizzare way. I wish I could post a picture on here to show everyone. I've never seen anything like this. He otherwise seems healthy, eats good, even crows a cute, squeaky crow. He's about the size of a pop can, very very tiny, and I think he is done growing. Oh, one other thing about him....I have to keep a constant heat lamp on him, as he seems to not be able to regulate his body temp. I first noticed this when fall came and the temps started to drop, he almost died, so I quickly put him under a heat light...since I live in Northern Ohio, it's extremely cold right now. I suppose some may say to "cull" him, but he seems happy, and not in any pain....so, if I have to keep him under a heat light, I don't mind....he's a darling little rooster.

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I don't know what's wrong with him, so I can't help you there, but I just wanted to say it sounds like he's happy despite his condition and I think it's sweet you put in the extra effort to keep him going. [​IMG] I'd be curious to see a picture of him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by