Young silkie hen hasn't laid since July, whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amy's Animals, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I have a young silkie hen that started laying last may. She went broody early July and sat on eggs for 23 days until I found out the embyos had died due to the heat. She hasn't layed since. I have no idea why, she is getting excellent care and proper feed. Do you have an explanation?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Is she still broody? I have a hen that only laid a handful of eggs all spring and summer because she was broody. She collected everyone else's eggs to sit on, but wouldn't lay any of her own. She had to be broken several times before she finally broke on her own. It was still over a month after that before she laid any eggs.

Is she molting? Even a mini-molt can disrupt egg laying. Nothing you can do about this one except wait for it to run its course. Maybe hasten the process with protein-rich foods.

Any supplemental lighting being used? With winter's short days she may not be getting enough light to lay so upping your light to 12-14 hours a day may stimulate her to lay.

These are the only things I can think of off hand to explain why she wouldn't be laying. Good luck.

3. Amy's Animals

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:No, she is not broody, not molting, and I have my articificial light ready but not set up yet. She should have started laying back in August already when there still was enough natural light. [​IMG]

4. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG] I have the same problem but mine are going on 5 months of no eggs.I dont know what is going on but I wanna [​IMG] them all

5. Amy's Animals

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Mine is too, the last egg she laid was the 1st of July. That would make it going on 5 months as well. Yeah, me neither. It's weird, the rest are all laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by