Young Silkie Pullet gone Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SeasideDuckMan, Nov 2, 2013.

1. SeasideDuckMan

SeasideDuckMan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    Hi everyone....

One of my 2 silkie pullets have gone broody. She is 6months old and just started laying last month. She laid about a dozen and a half eggs and now stopped. But she won't leave the nest! She hasn't laid in weeks (getting cold here in jersey) but refuses to get off. She is getting thin but still gets off to eat and drink once a day. Everytime I'm out I take her off but she trots right back over to the nest. Don't know what to do... Winter is coming fast and she doesn't look like she is going to stop any time soon! Let me know what you think.

Alex

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Silkies are tough - their broody instinct is extremely strong. Is there any way that you can lock her away from the nest site?

3. SeasideDuckMan

Aug 3, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    I can try. She is very stubborn. I'm just nervous because she is so young...maybe she doesn't understand how to brood. She doesn't even know she needs eggs under her!

4. SeasideDuckMan

Aug 3, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. redbudchix

redbudchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    My silkie has done the same thing...just six months old, and has laid only for a few weeks. She's in the coop, and I don't know how many eggs she's on...but winter is coming here in Tennessee, too. Should I just let nature take its course? I've taken her off twice, but she just RUNS back to the nest box? I don't know what to do,either. I have two silkies in with the big girls and one rooster. They all get along. I bought the silkies for my granddaughter, and she loves them...I just don't want anything to happen to them.

6. SeasideDuckMan

Aug 3, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    We seem to be having the same issue. Let me know if you here anything....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by