Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I have a young silkie pullet that seems unable to stand. She's much too young to be eggbound or anything. I found her out in the snow this morning just laying there so I brought her in and got her warm. She can use her legs but seems unable to stand. She sits rocked back on her tail with her feet kind of out in front of her. I can't get her to eat or drink. If anyone has any idea what's going on with her or has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, she has no wounds, so it's not something like that.

I have a young silkie pullet that seems unable to stand. She's much too young to be eggbound or anything. I found her out in the snow this morning just laying there so I brought her in and got her warm. She can use her legs but seems unable to stand. She sits rocked back on her tail with her feet kind of out in front of her. I can't get her to eat or drink. If anyone has any idea what's going on with her or has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, she has no wounds, so it's not something like that.
This is a cut and paste from one of my other replies. Maybe it will help you.

FWIW, the pathologist that I work with says that Merek's is one of the leading causes of death that they see in chickens at their lab. He also said that it's an old wives tale about it only affecting young ones.

This link has some good pictures on Merek's: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502

I also like this one:
Source:http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

Last edited:
She's up and about. After warming up under a heat lamp for an hour, she got up, ate, and is walking around fine. I almost think she was in a state of hypothermia. I made her a little fleece sweater (which looks both ridiculous and adorable) and she's back out in the coop with a small light to keep it above freezing.

Back
Top Bottom