Young Speckled Sussex not laying? Hiding eggs? Now locked up to find out, but no eggs...

buttersbrood

Chirping
Oct 5, 2021
Aotearoa New Zealand
Hi everyone!

We have a 1 year old Speckled Sussex who has, it seems, never laid an egg. That is to say: we've never found one.

We have a large garden, and our chickens free range. There is a forest out the back of our house, and they do hang out there a bit.

I've followed her in the mornings, secretly, but no luck finding a nest if eggs.

She's a big chicken, eats a lot, is healthy etc.

We have now locked her up in the main coop which has a run attached. She's been in there for 2 days, but no egg... No broken eggs either, so I do 't think she's eating the eggs. How long do we keep her in the coop? Will it take a while for her to settle into being locked up, after which she might start laying? Or is she not laying at all? Surely a year old hen Kay's eggs, right? Also, it's summer here, so prime egg time...

Any tips? Guidance?

Thank you so much!

I’d put the oyster shell back out. They need the extra calcium if they’re laying. Even if you’re feeding layer feed, what’s in there is rarely enough. Have you done a pelvic exam to see how far apart her pelvic bones are? Put your fingers on the fluff under her tail and vent. Feel around until you find two pointy bones. Depending on the width of your fingers, a laying hen’s pelvic bones will be 2-3 fingers apart. A hen who isn’t laying will be 1-2 fingers apart. It helps if you examine a few of your other hens too. That way you have a basis for comparison.

I’d put the oyster shell back out. They need the extra calcium if they’re laying. Even if you’re feeding layer feed, what’s in there is rarely enough. Have you done a pelvic exam to see how far apart her pelvic bones are? Put your fingers on the fluff under her tail and vent. Feel around until you find two pointy bones. Depending on the width of your fingers, a laying hen’s pelvic bones will be 2-3 fingers apart. A hen who isn’t laying will be 1-2 fingers apart. It helps if you examine a few of your other hens too. That way you have a basis for comparison.
That's great advice. I will put the oystershell back out. And very interested to do the pelvic exam. Will do that today :)
Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom