Young Utility Kings

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Splandry, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Splandry

Splandry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Youngsville Louisiana
    I have a young pair of birds that set there first eggs. They are about 3 day over due. My question is are the first eggs bad sometimes? Do I just pull the eggs from the nest so she will lay more???

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    King pigeons are one of the hardest that I've ever seen to hatch. Every time my friend hatches hers the parents have beat on it or abandoned the eggs midway. It might be awhile before they try to hatch squabs again but maybe hold out at least a day more to see what will happen

3. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    after 21 days I would throw them out yes young pairs some times take a few trys before getting it you can candle there eggs like chickens at 7 days and check them that way utilty kings are bred for production if they don't breed and raise a set of young once a month they are not doing there job maybe the twisted feathers friend had show king which are slow due to selection for show not production

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Wait!!!!

Sometimes they don't start to incubate the eggs properly when we think they have. I have had some hatch many days after the date I thought they would hatch.

Give them another week.. then throw them away. Waiting a few more days won't do any harm.

Unlike the other poster.. my utility kings breed and raise their squabs really well... better then some of my other breeds. I even used they to foster other squabs sometimes.

5. Splandry

Splandry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Youngsville Louisiana
    THanks guys I am glad I waited, both eggs hatched. I guess I missed on the time they started setting or they went a few days over due. But again thanks for the info.

1 person likes this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Experienced pairs in my experience will only hover over the first egg and not set tight until the second egg is laid. This can make it seem as if it took 19 (first egg) or 20 days (second egg). Counting from the time that the first egg was laid.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by