Young white leghorn with eye injury - or disease ?

apoyer

Hatching
Jan 27, 2021
Me and my husband recently got a few chickens.
We have one leghorn who we noticed on the day they were dropped off had one eye shut . Today we noticed it looked swollen and injured so we picked her up to look at it closely .
some things we’ve observed the last 2 days:
The rest of the chickens kind of pick on her and peck at her - which had me thinking maybe it’s an injury ? also , she is less active than the rest of the bunch - but is still eating and drinking water .

This is our first time owning chickens and we feel terrible for her and aren’t sure what to do next .
any advice or insight is much appreciated .
DF1DA209-08D9-4841-9B73-4EE06E552C5F.jpeg

Given that you have seen other chickens bullying her, and there is obvious dry blood around the eye, it's apparent the eye problem is due to bullying. It would be good to separate her from the flock, so she can see and hear them, but not touch. For the eye, you might hold a damp warm towel against it, and wipe off any gunk, afterward apply an opthamalic ointment such as Terramycin, or an antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin, you can repeat that process a couple of times a day as needed.

Bullying in chicks is often due to boredom correlated with lack of space - increasing the space in their pen, adding logs, or perches for them to climb on, and adding more feeders and waterers may help prevent future bullying.

Separate her from the rest of the flock in case it is a injury the other chickens could make it worse. after you separate her clean her eye with saline solution and put antibiotic ointment on the eye

Thank you guys for your help. We are separating her now and will clean her up and apply ointment and keep watch on her recovery the next few days .
thanks again !!

Back
Top Bottom