1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Wild Tom Turkey

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FrontPorchIndiana, Jun 24, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    So um, we're surrounded by woods that are home to wild turkeys. I enjoy listening to them and keeping an eye out for babies, etc. But both Saturday and yesterday we've had this young tom turkey come right up in the yard and lurk about the coop and run. I somehow doubt his intentions are honorable. I think he's out lookin' for a little somethin', somethin' from my chickens. Our run is pretty secure. You don't think he'll become a problem do you? I actually think he's kinda cool. But I'm wondering about my plans to raise some heritage turkeys now? I never really wanted to run a brothel. [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    He is most likely coming up looking for food.

In all of my years around turkeys I have never seen one try to mate with a chicken.

Usually turkeys barely tolerate chicken/ducks/geese.

I seriously doubt he is looking for some chicken hen loving.

Put him out some feed. Cultivate him for Thanksgiving turkey. [​IMG] Turkey ration isn't any more expensive than than chicken feed. Plump him up.

3. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:check your local game regulations first. in some places it's illegal to feed or bait wildlife.

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Well good grief if no one lives near you and you dont have close neighbors why would you want to run everything by the local authorities. As far as I am concerend they can suck an egg.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I have seen it the other way. I used to have a pet turkey hen and a brown rosecomb leghorn rooster. They were inseparable. He used to mount her all of the time. It was kind of funny because she would have to sit down, and would climb on board!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have seen that! It is almost as funny as a bantam roo and a full size orpington hen. LOL

If the feed is out there for the chickens who is to say he is baiting a wild turkey? He is feeding his chickens.

7. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Here, we can feed game animals as long as it's not DURING the hunting season that applies to them. Well, actually, you have to stop enough ahead of time so that there is NO feed left by the time the season opens.

A quick trip to your state's Game & Fish (or equivalent) website will settle that question. I agree with Miss Prissy--we were fed many meals by a wild turkey tom over the winter, and his fan and beard hang on our wall now!

8. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    We feeour wild Turkeys and the deer. We do not hunt over the food. We do NOT HUNT our PETS that we feed. I call them my pets because I watch them out the back door.

9. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:it was just a suggestion to keep the OP out of trouble. s/he doesn't have to "run everything by the local authorities", either. most state game departments maintain websites with lists of the regulations on for those who wish to abide by laws. whether you respect the authority of your fish & game department or not, it's not a lot of fun getting fined for poaching.

personally, i'm against baiting wildlife. i'd like to be able to feed some of my wildlife, especially the turkeys, but because of anti-baiting laws, i can't. everyone needs to do what feels best for their situation and piece of mind, though.

10. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, my first thought was that he was looking for food. But then I thought maybe the scent of the birds attracted him. If it was just the one, I'd fatten him up, but from what I hear he's got LOTS of cousins out there. I can't afford to feed them all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by