Younger chickens joining older chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenMommy, Aug 25, 2007.

1. ChickenMommy

ChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    North East Texas
    I need to get my younger chickens(17 week old Easter Eggers) joined in with my older chickens(9 month old Laying chickens). What is the best way to do this? They have been free-ranging together for over 1 month, but have seperate living areas. The younger chickens do sometimes go into the older chickens area during the day when both coops are open.
    Help please!!

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    if your EE are anything like the one i have theyre very large and somewhat agressive. i put my EE in with banty chicks, when the EE was probably a week or less, and the banties were 2-3 weeks. she was pecked on (badly [​IMG] ) but now she is the top in the pecking order. i am sure that they would do just fine - especially at 17 weeks!

3. ChickenMommy

ChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    North East Texas
    Yeah my EEs are taller then the RIRs already, just not as filled out as the RIRs are. They are doing well together. The RIRs still pick on them and peck them awa at TREAT time, but some of the EEs are starting to stick up for themselves now. Over all I am satisfied as to how well the intrigation went. I am glad I had them living side by side, in different pens, but free ranging together since the EEs were 10 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by