younger pullet laying, older pullets not?

catlikethief

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Portland OR
I have kind of a long winded question.

Many months ago I bought an 11week old ameraucana from a breeder who sells his chicks to a local feed store. Then about three weeks after I purchased *nugget* the breeder was selling some more of his older pullets at the same feed store, so I bought two. Their names are Maisy and Henrietta.

Both Maisy and Henrietta were and still are in good health and size. I was under the impression they would be laying soon.He didn't know their exact age but said they would lay soon. Keep in mind I bought them months ago, before summer started.

My 11week old Nugget started laying this week, but the two older girls are showing no signs of laying.

They have no diet or health problems, they free range 5 hours a day. I can't figure this out for the life of me.

Can there be mishaps with breeding that would cause a chicken to not lay? Sounds pretty far fetched and I really don't believe that's the case here. I also don't want to believe that maybe I was sold older ladies who are permanently out of service.

Anybody have any ideas?

Perhaps they were not as old as he said or thought. He could have been way off by 4-6 weeks?! Do you have photos? Are you sure none were Roo's?

Quote:
That could be a possibility, but Maisy and Henrietta were very big when i bought them (not big like fat , probably 3x the size of the 11week old i bought three weeks prior)

They're not roosters! I should take photos, I'll probably post them in a few hours.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom