1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Younger rooster crowing first?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by insiderart, Sep 8, 2009.

1. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    As yet I haven't heard my 8 week old SS cockeral crow. Not a big deal, his comb is coming in nicely as are his wattles. He's a sweet boy and is the first out, last in. Really laid back. Now the rascally upstart 6 week old cockeral has started crowing! And not only that, his comb and wattles (what little there are of them) appear to be a darker red than the 8 w.o. Not to mention that the little guy is far from friendly. As a matter of fact his name is "Running Man" because he absolutely does not want to be touched and runs for his life everytime I move them from the coop to the run.

What is going on?

I will say that his very rough attempts at crowing this morning were less than appreciated by the pullets. Several of whom raised their neck feathers at that wretched sound. A couple of whom jumped on the upstart to shut him up.

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    My young cockerals didn't start to crow until almost 20 weeks.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Insider, betcha 10 to 1 he's going to challenge your dominant rooster as soon as he gets some size on him.
    As far as running from you, I consider that to be a good thing. A roo that's a tad bit afraid of you will be less likely to challenge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by