Youngest age of chick you heard crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barrett Farm, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Barrett Farm

Barrett Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I have six young chicks that are only 5 weeks old. One or more of them is making noise that sounds like a roo only between 6 and 6:30am. When I went out to see who is making all the ruckus so early in the morning, they all hung out at the feeder, cheeping and eating.

Could my neighbor be tricking me to get up in the morning? It is kind of funny seeing a sleepy woman run out to the chicken coop in her nightgown when its 38 degrees. We opened the fence into his yard so he can enjoy the chickens too, so our relationship has always been good. He could be having fun with me.

What is the youngest age you have heard a roo crow?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It could be a crow! Sometimes they start very young.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I have had them crow as early as 4 weeks old....It was my OEGB's. I have a little Blue/Red out there now who is 6 weeks old and has been croaking out a crow for at least 2 weeks.

Cracks me up to hear him!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Five DAYS old. So unexpected, I didn't at first realize what it was doing. Since then, I've had several crow at less than a week old.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The little japanese bantam roo in my avatar attempted crowing at 3weeks. He got off a few weird squeaky crackling noises which sounded nothing like crowing and took me awhile to figure out what he was doing. Then he was mostly silent until 6months old. We've decided he got embarased by our laughter at his attempts. [​IMG]

6. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    My Polish was about 9 weeks old when he started.

7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:[​IMG] That's crazy! Must be some sort of record!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Pearl White Leghorn roo at FIVE WEEKS!!

... and he was good...so good he had to be rehomed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by