Youngest chick being pecked by mother

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MenollysBrood, Jan 16, 2009.

1. MenollysBrood

MenollysBrood New Egg

Jan 15, 2009
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    We're new to chicken raising and at a loss with what to do with our youngest chick.
    Four days ago our pekin bantam successfully hatched all 10 bantam eggs we bought for her. Everything was going well until today when we noticed that she has started pecking at the youngest chick. She only pecks at this one chick and will peck at it whenever it's in front of her. It's younger than the others by about 12 hours and a bit quieter than them, but it seems to be a bright healthy little thing and tries to stay away from her beak. We are worried about this behaviour and the damage it's beginning to cause, as a small bare patch has appeared on one side of it's neck.
    The other chicks have no problem with it, but we were wondering if it would be best to take it away from its mum. Unfortunately we are not set up to house a chick away from its mother.
    Could someone please give us some advice?

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I had one of my Silkies do this and I made the decision to take the chick away. I also made sure to give the chick a brother/sister so he wouldn't be lonely. It sounds like it would be best to separate the chick.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I could be she know know something about him you do not. If you want you can bring him in with a sibling like the above poster stated.

4. MenollysBrood

MenollysBrood New Egg

Jan 15, 2009
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    If we do find a way to look after the chick and one of its siblings away from the mother, how easy will it be to get them to fit back in with the rest later on?

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    10 babies may be too many for her to raise and nature is taking it's course - the mama is picking out the last or the weakest to eliminate. She can and probably will kill it. If you separate it, I would take a few more of the others. She can't possibly fit 10 under her wings and it will continue to flock with the ones it's raised with so maybe take 4 more and put with it leaving the mama with 5. She's going to start ignoring them at about 3 weeks anyway, at least my broody mama's do, and you can put the 5 others back in the flock then. The other option is to take all 10 away from mama and put her back with flock and raise them in a separate brooder pen till they are a little older.

I raise all breeds of chickens, ducks, and even peacocks and all ages and start letting mine free range and hang out with the rest of the flock at one week old when weather is warm and 4-5 weeks old when temps are cold and I've never had a problem with them fighting or hurting one another. BUT...I do freerange and everyone has lots of space. However, I do know that they continue to stick closely with the ones they were brooded with so I always try to have at least 3 or 4 together just in case something happens to one. If you have just two and something happens to one, that one survivor would have no flock mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by