1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Youngest hen eye pecked by other chickens, and now has one mild foamy eye.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by undine, Jan 29, 2014.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Ive noticed three of my older chickens have been picking on my youngest hen. They pecked the corner of her eye and around that her eyelid is now scabbed. Today morning i saw foam in the corner of her eye. The same eye she was pecked. I tried wiping/cleaning the foam away, but its kind of hard with one person...and a fussy chicken. What does the foam mean? There are no avian vets near where i live.

She looks healthy and is showing no signs of anything. shes still eating well and running around.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. KrisLW

KrisLW Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hi, foamy eye is often indicative of 'mycoplasma' which is a respiratory disease. However, it could also mean other things, and given that she was pecked in that eye it may be a reaction to the pecking (not sure though). If it is mycoplasma, you should isolate her and decide whether to treat with antibiotics. It is highly contagious and spreads rapidly through the flock. Symptoms usually progress to swelling of the wattle and comb, runny nose or discharge from nose, and weight loss / loss of appetite. Often you can hear a rattle in the breathing too.

Kris

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    woah, thanks for the information. although i hope thats not why her eye is foamy ;(

4. KrisLW

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    No probs. keep a close eye to see if any other symptoms develop. Also keep a watch on the other hens eyes over the coming weeks just in case. Mycoplasma has an incubation period. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

5. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Will do! Theres an update though.. Ive been checking hey eve everyday since then, and it isnt foamy anymore =D her eye is healing from the attack, though its leaving some dirty gunk on some areas around her eye.

6. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    are there eyedrops for Mycoplasma?

7. HomesickQuail

HomesickQuail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    St.petersburg fl
    Tobramycin 0.03% I think its called, its antibiotic eye drops for cats but I use it on quails chickens and snake

8. KrisLW

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom

Hi, if it's mycoplasma then the antibiotics are usually added to the water. Mycoplasma causes respiratory disease and foamy eye is one of the symptoms. Denagard is a good broad spectrum antibiotic that we use in the UK and the whole flock is treated together. Look it up online. We also use Baytril but I believe it's banned in the US. If it's not mycoplasma and is just an eye infection I'm not sure how that would be treated. You'll need to ask a Vet.

9. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    yea, its just an eye infection since all my chickens including her are doing fine.. still has their appetite and energy D: but my poor chico(name of the chicken who got her eye pecked) =( hey eyelid is so damaged, but i will keep in mind about this IF something does happen. thank you =D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  10. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thaaanks!! Is it over the counter? Can it be bought online?

well this sucks, i need a prescription

This is the only one i found that idoesnt need a prescription. Can human eye drops be used on poultry?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CCJ6X3K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by