Youngin's & Their Voices

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by BreezeCrestChickens, Nov 8, 2011.

1. BreezeCrestChickens

BreezeCrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have 2 little guineas that are starting to try out their voices...only heard (what I believe to be just one I've heard) the calls 2 or 3 times now. So far, the biggest one was acting like a hen...then the next one did. My luck they're both hens...or both cocks. Ugh...I have bad luck. Anyways, a friend of mine has full grown ones so I've heard the difference in the calls when they're full grown. My guys are probably...3-4 months old now. They still chirp like chicks, but their chirps are starting to change and get more like the grown up clucky chirps. We had some hunters over the other day and one tried calling out to let me know they weren't here before but they were now! Anyways it was the chiiiiiichhiiiiiiiichhiiiiiiiiiii (like the male warning call), now I know the females can sometimes make the same noise...but I'm wondering where they're testing out their voices and getting a feel for them...its possible for them to call with both sexes voices? [​IMG] Guess I'm just so excited for females I'm praying to everything possible they're female and male.

[​IMG]
    See they're still young, this picture is from the same day, about a week ago. Noticed today they're JUST starting to get their crowns a little bit, just little buttons so far [​IMG] I find it really neat to watch the transition! Only ever having older ones before!!

2. Fenika

Fenika Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Awww, they are in that ugly-cute stage [​IMG] They look more like 2 months to me. 3-4 months is roughly 13-16 weeks and at that point they will look like small to full adults with adult skin heads (at 13 weeks they might not have fully adult heads, but very close). I've been watching mine change very closely and they are 16 weeks tomorrow [​IMG]

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I agree with Fenika, 3-4 month old birds are nearly adult size. Your little guys/gals look around 8 wks old to me too. If you aren't feeding them a high protein diet (around 28%), keets tend to grow at a slower rate tho. My keets usually start finding their voices around 5-6 wks old, and until they practice a while they are off key and squeaky sounding, it's cute, lol.

If you can catch and cage them and then separate them out of sight of each other, they will start calling to each other, (tho time consuming, this is how I reliably sex my birds). Guinea Hens can make all the same noises and calls that the Guinea males will make (including the chi-chi-chi alarm call), but only the Hens will make the 2 syllable buck-wheat call, males do not make that call ever.

4. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    Your keets look to be about the same size and features as my 10/11 week olds.

5. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    The only bird feeds we have around here is the 3 grain scratch and laying mash...not sure of the % on anything in the laying mash though off the top of my head right now. They're really the only ones that are any decent. We only have Co-op, Shurgain and Purina for feed stores...and Co-op has the best feed that the birds like. They get lots of scraps with the chickens and stuff, hang out with them, flap around with them, scare the crap out of my boyfriend [​IMG] (The other day I guess when he went out with the leftover's bucket...they were up on the fence and dive bombed for him HAHAHAHHA!) But yes I figure that could account for it. The past couple of weeks they've had a HUGE growth spurt! I know they were hatched out late July, early August. The breeder I get them from just lets his guineas out in the summertime to do their thing and have their babies naturally around his property, they get some sorta corn grain scratch and whatever they can find for bugs in the long grass around his place. They chirp alot and stuff but haven't really started with the serious calling yet. Its not a huge deal whatever their sexes are just curious [​IMG] Happy to finally have some ugly birds around!!!! [​IMG] They're about...about the size of my silkie now I think? Well the bigger one is, the other one is a little smaller. I've raised lots of chicken chicks and meat kings and everything of that sort, just not guineas! So I have no idea about their voices when they're littles! I know their voices when they're older...all to much...ugh. I know my horse can definitely wait to hear them LOL! Thanks for the advice though guys [​IMG]

And Peeps, the cage is a good idea! Right now I won't bother, just curious more or less [​IMG] But if I do get lucky I'll be sure to remember it to sell the others in years to come! Ugh...now to go eat a handful of 4 leafed clover for some added luck [​IMG]

6. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    [​IMG]
    Oh yes...buggers dig caves in my crap pile too! LOL! They're bad!!! Hehehehe!!!

7. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    This is a little bit of a better size comparison. That's them next to a full grown hen.
    [​IMG]

8. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:Wow, yah I am sure their diet has majorly attributed to their slow growth and feather development ugh. The reason your 2 keets have been able to go thru a growth spurt recently is most likely due to them being able to free range/forage for bugs, seeds and weeds more effectively and they are getting more protein now. They needed a much higher protein diet from day one [​IMG]

Scratch should only be fed to Guineas as a treat, not as their main diet, it typically averages less than 9% protein content and contains a lot of fat which can and usually does develop fatty internal organs, eventually leading to disease and reproductive problems as well as shortening their lifespan. The layer feed is also too low in protein for growing/developing keets (usually only 16%), with too much calcium in it for keets of any age. Typically it's not a good idea to feed keets a layer feed until they are just about done growing and are close to laying/breeding age, around 14-16 weeks of age.

Guineas' nutritional needs are much closer to turkeys' and pheasants' than they are to chickens', and they really do need the high protein content in their diet (especially the first 6-8 weeks of their lives) to be able to grow/develop at the proper rate over all, but especially needing the amino acids they get from the high protein to be able to develop their feathers at the proper rate (this has been scientifically proven/established, it's not JMO). Their natural diet in the wild which consists of high protein bugs and seeds (plus grasses/weeds) that helps them feather out and grow quickly so they can get up off the ground and roost in the safety of the trees.

Purina makes both Game Bird Chow(30% protein) and Flock Raiser(20% protein)... but a lot of us have to specifically ask our feed stores to order the higher protein feeds for our Guineas, most feed stores do not stock them. Game bird, turkey or pheasant feeds are all high protein feeds, especially the starter and grower feeds. Right now, if they were my keets I'd switch them over to Flock Raiser (or any feed containing 20-24% protein) if you can get it and keep them on that until they feather out into their adult feathers. You can also supplement the protein in their diet with boiled or scrambled eggs.

I don't mean to come across as rude, condescending or a know it all... I am just trying to be helpful to you and your Guineas. Not everyone knows about the specific nutritional needs of Guinea Fowl. I hatch and raise a lot of Guineas (hundreds and hundreds and hundreds) and take the nutritional needs of my flocks pretty seriously, so I try to help others raise and breed healthy birds as well, if I can.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  9. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Don't worry Peeps you're not coming across as rude [​IMG] I've only ever had them as adults before so its new to me...and of course I thought they would be just like chickens. I didn't think any of our feed stores would have anything other then chick starter and most of the stuff that they do have is medicated...also getting it this time of the year it would be pretty stale. But when I get home from my vacation this weekend I'll take a run up to town and check and see if I can get something high in protein for them. Would be good for my hens too this time of year where they're molting.

10. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Good glad you didn't take it that way [​IMG] It's really a shame that there just isn't that much easily accessible and reliable info on Guineas out there on the net. Wish there was [​IMG]
    Good luck on your high protein feed quest! I agree, it'll be good for your Hens too this time of year, might even help to get them laying again a little sooner for ya [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by