Youngish Brahma roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jensownzoo, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Okay, I have a light Brahma cockerel , Mongo, that I've become attached to. He's roughly 8 months old. He was one that was attacked by a predator (at about 4 months old) that ripped quite a wound in his back...required daily bandage changes, aspirin in the water, and an indoor cage for two weeks. We got to be buddies during that time. Now he's huge. He discovered that he has testicles a few weeks back and stopped wanting to be picked up, which I respected. I show my roos respect as long as they reciprocate.

Okay, now the issue. Obviously he's new to the whole mating thing and has no clue how to woo the ladies. Instead he's just grabbing them, which they don't appreciate. I think I have him broke of grabbing them out of the nesting boxes. I do not have him broke of ambushing them during evening meal...such that several pullets refused to go into the coop to eat/roost. When he starts causing a ruckus with the ladies, I figure he's done eating, grab him, and he gets to spend the night alone in a dog kennel outside the coop.

So, I understand that Brahmas can be slow to mature. I have several other non-Brahma cockerels that are behaving appropriately with the ladies (two standard EEs and one bantam), but no experienced roo to lay the smack-down on Mongo. I've got to plan out who is being housed where for the winter. I am considering pulling him from the laying flock to spend the winter in a bachelor pad (I've got some other cockerels that I'm holding onto for possible spring breeding) so he has time to mature before being re-introduced to the ladies.

I suppose what I am asking is, when will he be more receptive to learning to treat the ladies right? His hormones are talking pretty loudly now, but younger animals tend to be more easily trainable. Alternatively, wait until spring when he is more used to his hormones talking to him, but risk missing a crucial learning period? What to do...what to do...

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    He'll get there, in the end, but as to when is anyone's guess. I do agree that putting him in a bachelor pen is the best thing for now. When his hormones calm down, he's likely to work out how to woo the ladies very quickly, so i would not worry about that. I'm not sure its about a "learning period" - cockerels / roosters are hard-wired to display this behaviour - they don't learn it.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can't tell without a pic...haha!

No, agrees with Ken......who knows if and/or when<shrugs>

Is he fighting with the other males at all?
    His over aggression could be immaturity, or competition driven,
    or he may always be a 'choose your expletive'.

Multiple cock/erels is the ultimate chicken juggling endeavor.
    At least you have other enclosures to experiment with......
    ....sounds like it's best he live in celibacy for now tho.

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I do need to get a current pic of him...he's a cutie!

He's also the one that I thought the little bantam EE ("Britches" as in "too big for") had killed by running him all over in the heat. He went into total submissive pose and stayed there long enough for me to rush over. He may have passed out? Carried him over to the shallow water dish and put him in it to cool his feet off--he seemed a little dazed but recovered. This was before his testosterone surged.

Not too much fighting with the other boys going on as I think he has other things on his mind. The others definitely aren't stepping in though, so they either are a bit intimidated by his size or any squabbles happened when I wasn't there. I wasn't so much concerned with teaching him how to woo the ladies as teaching him the need for it. Learning can substantially shorten the time period between instinct and experience, but I am a LOT more familiar with the mammalian side of that.

Bachelor pad it is then. Once I get it finished that is...half-erected at present. It's a longish building that will also house the winter quarters of my two goats and a couple of feral kittens I've agreed to take for nocturnal rodent control (the chickens have the daytime well-in-hand). Just needs a day or two more work but my back is acting up this week so we shall see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by