Young'un eating layer pellets! Is she okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stonerowfarm, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    While our 8-week olds are growing into their feathers and feet we have them in a separated area of our hens coop. The divider is chicken wire with wood on the top, about 6 inches from the ceiling, which is 8 feet high.

This morning one of the young ones had somehow flown over the fencing and was happily munching layer pellets. I don't know how long she was there or how much she ate.

Will this cause any harm to this young one who flew the coop?

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh bad chicky bad! She's lucky she didn't get pecked on her head.

I would venture to say that all will be well. The layer pellets are just lacking in the protein needed for growth and have added calcium for egg production. One meal of those won't stunt her. I think if you just toss her back over to her side of the fence, she'll get back on her starter.

3. Stonerowfarm

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    I'm surprised too. I had just let the ladies out into their run and she was either in there with them or flew over when I opened the run.

I have two hens that want to brood in the worst way always checking on the babies. They come in several times a day and go to the wire to talk with them.

Thanks for the quick response, I am yet another worry-wart mom and have been agonizing all day over this until I could log on. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Probably just fine, but maybe put some wire on top of their area, so she won't do it again! She's quite the flyer!

Which makes me wonder- did she maybe find a way out lower down? [​IMG]

5. Stonerowfarm

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    [​IMG]

She's not talented enough to go under or through. I think this is the same chickie that flies onto my shoulder every time I turn my back. She just wants to be above the action.

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I've had chicks eat it for weeks with no problems. Don't stress it.

When you have a mixed flock in one pen, how are you going to tell them which food they can and can't eat! At least, that's my problem.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Never had any problems with chicks eating layer pellets. I usually mix both layer and grower so everyone benefits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by