Your Antibiotic of Choice

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KsKingBee, Oct 12, 2014.

1. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I have had occasional need to use antibiotics and may need to use one again in the near future. Which one do you find to be the most effective? Please tell us either in the drinking water or by injection.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Baytril by injection or orally, never in water and only treat those showing symptoms.

-Kathy

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Oh my with what you have been threw you should have posted a list for sure ksKingbee [​IMG]

Sorry i don't have any any meds to add but i got some in my cabinet just in case if that counts as a choice[​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This has some interesting drug info for pigeons:

Next time your vet is bored, ask her to review it and comment on it for you. What I found interesting is the mention of using Tylan with the other drugs for better efficacy.

Note that Safeguard and Valbazen are not mentioned... I believe that both have caused problems in pigeons and doves.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Tetramyacine or oxytetramyacine have worked very well for me, particularly in strong does through drinking water. Luckily I've only had to use them sparingly in the past.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tetracycline and Oxytetracycline are probably good ones to use if you can't get something like Baytril.

This shows the bacteria that @KsKingBee was dealing with a few months ago and they drugs that would treat them.

-Kathy

7. KsKingBee

The list of what worked for me is pretty short. When I was having my worst problem last spring it turned out to be a secondary infection caused by improper worming. I did the three ml per gallon as was frequently recommended and that did not work. The worms flourished and the birds got sick, and started showing respiratory problems. At first the vet wanted to save the 'Big Gun' Baytril for when everything else did not work so we ramped up until we found the real problem causing it all.

In the end when the worming was done properly the birds responded and are in general good health. My interest here is when not trying to treat a severe problem, what works for you? and how do you use it?

8. KsKingBee

This testing was done before the root of the problem was found but was very useful in isolating what the two bacteria were susceptible to. When looking at the lists the drugs tested on the bacteria is on the left and the bacteria is on the top. In front of the numbers is either a R or S that stands for resistant or susceptible. If the drug had a S in front of the numbers it means that it worked on that bacteria. If it had a R it did not. So in the end there were three or four drugs that worked on both of those bacteria.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So let me ask this, what diseases are peafowl most likely to get and what antibiotics will treat them? What I should do is go through my email and find my necropsy reports so everyone can see the bacteria that were found and what antibiotics the bacteria were sensitive to.

-Kathy

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Ok see your info/ experience needs to be on this page also cause it is very important and mabe once this thread gets more good info it can be added or made a sticky for easier access later on if it gets buried[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by