1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Your Best Excuses for Getting Out of Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by greenfamilyfarms, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    So, my 2 years are up for jury duty and I got a "Summons to Report for Jury Service" in today's mail. The last jury duty I participated in was for Federal court, which paid very, very well and was actually pretty "fun". This is for local, district civil court. So, what's your best excuse for getting out of jury duty?

2. Never been but:

I'm scared of the judge because I just got a big fine from him...

My car broke down

I have something better to do

I need to be on BYC

I grow my own food

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'm guessing that we're talking about excuses that are not the regular exemptions or disqualifications?

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:This is the truth:
    I always tell them that I would not find a murdering Russian spy/rapist whom I saw robbing the Chase-Manhattan guilty of anything in an Indiana court.
    ETA I also let them know that I do NOT have a civic duty to do anything that makes their position(s) appear fit to exist.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

They LOVE to call up DH... losing income when we're already below poverty level isn't excuse enough... nor is forcing him to miss college (full time and on some scholarships so can't afford to miss) classes...

DH says he's an equal opportunity bigot, he hates EVERYONE... but they've never considered that reason enough either.

I've been summoned, but with two kiddos (under 15 or is it 13?) that would be left unsupervised I've never had to go down to the place.

I think I'd just wiggle incessantly, constantly raise my hand to go to the bathroom, etc until they realize they'd never know a moment's peace/get anything done if I had to be there... it's a theory.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I get called every year b/c our county needs to have a representative jury....I just say I am at school, and request the week of x-mas. One year I went for half a day on the 24th, and the other years it was canceled! Who wants to be there on x mas, and if for some odd reason there is a case that week, it'll be some quick petty trial anyway.

7. PineappleMama

Well, I don't think I'd be a very fair juror to be honest.

I majorly resent that the morons actions made ME be stuck in this place... why should I be punished, taken away from my home, job, kids, etc because YOU screwed up... this attitude can be aimed at either side... and lord help you if you're stupid enough to try and put me in civil court... then I'm going to hate both sides. Grow up and put on your big girl panties, don't drag ME in to twist ears and make you behave... I promise you will regret it.

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Sole caregiver for young children always worked for me.

9. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Never been summoned. Ever. I don't even know anyone who has been summoned for jury duty. And "summoned" sounds like something a king would do. Just sayin'

10. PineappleMama

I've heard it's the Voter Registration Rolls...

Something like those that don't give a crap about their country aren't usually expected to give a crap about their state/county/city.

OR flip side, those that want the privilege of voting must serve time on a jury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by