1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Your best guess? The mystery chicks (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peepshow, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Peepshow

Peepshow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    A few weeks ago someone dumped baby chicks in our yard. 3 managed to survive and now I'm wondering what kind of chicks they are

This is Sunny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i *think* Sunny is a girl. the other 2 are very protective of Sunny and Sunny is a very shy chick. Sunny is also more on the "frail" side when compared to the other 2

This is Pepe, we think Pepe is a roo. Pepe is extremely protective of Sunny, strong, and on occasion makes this noise that sounds like an attempt to crow

[​IMG]

here's a closer look at Pepe's feathers

[​IMG]

This is Fluffy. I would guess Fluffy is a roo if Pepe is since their markings are very similar. Fluffy is fairly strong too, a bit less adventurous then Pepe though.

[​IMG]

and here is all three, fluffy in the front, Pepe craning his neck a bit and Sunny hanging in the back corner
    [​IMG]

so what do you think?

Also, am i imagining it or is Sunny developmentally behind the other two? Seems to be feathering out slower and I'm wondering if they are even from the same hatch. There was a 4th chick that looked just like Sunny that died. Sunny and the other one seemed fresh hatched at first verses Pepe and Fluffy who were in more robust health

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    are they bantam size?

3. Peepshow

Jan 6, 2009
    Quote:i'm not sure, they seem smaller then our hens were at this stage but our hens are all heavy breeds so I'm not sure how to judge that.. plus I really dont know how old these are

4. Peepshow

Jan 6, 2009
    also, they are NOISY! i swear these three make more racket then when we had 17 chicks in the house.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    if they are bantams, there's not that many breed with the character squirel tail like them... serama, sebright, japs are some of them..

6. Aurelious

Aurelious Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2008
    golden campines would be my guess

7. Peepshow

Jan 6, 2009
    Quote:I thought you had it but the pic of the campine chicks is much different then what these looked like. here's an above shot from the day we found them [​IMG]

8. Peepshow

Jan 6, 2009
    any other guesses?[​IMG]

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I have no idea what kind of chickens they are, but I love the colors of their feathers. Sunny may be a little behind in feathering because she's a couple days younger or maybe she's a different breed of chicken (her newborn coloring was different than the other two). I think it's too early to determine sex. I've had chicks that were very outgoing and precocious (sp?), but still ended up being hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by