Your best summertime crockpot recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MtnAly, Jul 8, 2008.

1. MtnAly

MtnAly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Since we have a bit of a heatwave going on here right now, I'd like to fire up my crockpot instead of my oven to cook dinner. I have a lot of soup & stew recipes for my crockpot and I do pulled pork a lot, but I need something new and not as heavy as stew. Can you share some great summertime crockpot recipes with me??

2. CountryGirl in TN

CountryGirl in TN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Lewisport, KY
    My fav thing to cook in the crockpot in the summer(or anytime) is roast chicken. It looks and tastes exactly like the rotisserie ones you get from the grocery. All you do is take a few sheets(about 6 or 7) of tin foil and wad them up into balls about the size of a plum, put about 1" of water in the bottom, and then lay your seasoned whole chicken on top. Cover and cook on med/hi for about 4-5 hrs, or on low for about 8 hrs. Delicious!!!

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I love this recipe.

Crockpot Meat Loaf

2 pounds ground beef
    2 eggs
    3 Tablespoons minced dried onions
    1 cup finely crushed cracker crumbs ( put in a plastic bag and roll with a rolling pin until almost like flour)
    1/2 cup milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
    Potatoes
    Carrots
    Onion
    8-ounce can tomato sauce

Place first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with your hands.

Grease the Crockpot with Pam.

Place meat mixture in the Crockpot and form into a loaf.

Peel several potatoes and cut into very thick chucks and place around meat loaf. Peel several carrots, cut into half or thirds and place on top of potatoes. Peel and cut an onion into thick slices and place on top of the meat loaf.

Pour an eight ounce can of tomato sauce over the meat and onions. Place the lid on the Crockpot and cook on high for 6 to 8 hours or on low for 9 to 12 hours.

Internal temperature of meat loaf should be 160°.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is good in the crockpot.

Taco Soup (7 can soup)

1 lb. ground sirloin beef
    1 package taco seasoning
    1 package RANCH dressing mix
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 can chopped green chilies (hot or medium)
    1 can chili beans 12 oz.
    1 can kidney beans 12 oz.
    1 can diced Rotel tomatoes and chilies
    1 can diced stewed tomatoes
    2 cans water (24 oz. of water)

Brown the beef and add taco seasoning and RANCH dressing mix while simmering. Add remaining ingredients to a large soup/chili pot. Bring this concoction to a slow boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

This has the same properties as good chili, in that it gets better the more times you re-heat.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    My BF has been in a cooking mood lately and experimented with some Cowboy BBQ Beans in the crock pot. They were INCREDIBLE! Here is the recipe.

COWBOY BBQ BEANS

6 oz Turkey bacon (or regular bacon)
    1/2 onion chopped
    1/2 green pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil

1 cup Sonny’s BBQ Sauce (I like their sweet sauce)
    3 lbs Pork n Beans
    1 lb Kidney beans
    1 can bbq Pork (this is like pulled pork in a can)
    Few drips of liquid smoke to taste
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Sautee the first 6 ingredients until done.
    Pour everything into a Crock Pot.
    Cook 6 to 8 hours on low with lid on. Do not stir.

Note: if you prefer less BBQ flavor, cut back on the bbq sauce.
    Each warm up of leftover will become more and more like the old fashioned “baked beans” and some of stronger BBQ flavor will dissipate.
    You can substitute your favorite BBQ sauce for Sonny’s.
    If you use real bacon you will not need the vegetable oil.

[​IMG]

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:i just defrosted a whole chicken and was pondering, 'Miss Jayne, whatever shall i do with this delectable taste delight?" now i know! great idea! i wont have to heat up the kitchen and my kids LOVES the rotisserie chicken! thanks!

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

The meatloaf in the crockpot- I am sooo glad that someone else does this. I have used Lipton Onion soup with the meat loaf if we want gravey and if I want pasta with it, I'll put a jar of spag sauce into it with lots of veggies- celery,onions, peppers and what ever else I can toss in, black olives, mushrooms (I've even grated carrots into it to increase the veggie value of the meal), you will find the oregano and spices through the meat loaf. YUM.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Wow, I really would love to try that crock pot chicken. What kind of seasonings would you put on the chicken?

8. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    i am going to have to try some of these

9. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    It's funny you should ask because we are having a crock pot meal tonight!! Right now I have Carrots, Potatoes, and Celery cooking with Pork Roast. SOO YUMMY.

Another one of my favorites is what my mom used to call Bean Hotdish. It is super easy and one of our favorites around here! Here is the recipe...

1 lb. Browned Ground Beef
    5 Slices or so of bacon cooked crisp then crumbled
    1 can French Cut Green Beans - drained
    1 can Lima Beans - Drained
    1 can Baked Beans
    1 can Kidney Beans
    Brown Sugar and Mustard to taste

Mix in Crock Pot and cook on low for a few hours. It sounds kinda gross but really is good!!

10. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    My favorite summertime food in the crock pot is Sweet & Sour Meatballs. If you use the prepared frozen kind you only need 3 ingredients [​IMG]

1 pkg of frozen meatballs (size depends on how big your crock pot is) or you can make your own

1 pint of any flavor jelly (we made 154 pints of grape last year so that's what I use)

1 jar chili sauce

Place all in crock pot for 4 hours on high and and stir every once in a while. It's a favorite at my Church's Eatin' Meetin's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by