your best way to cook/roast your bird?

courtshep

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
West Virginia
I roasted one of our birds last night. It was a little tough. Maybe I should brine it? The bird was older, about a year, and free-ranged, which I've heard can make meat tougher since they are using the muscles a lot. I like chicken prepared all ways, but roasting is my favorite. Any tips?

On the older birds low and slow is the key !!

I like to cook them in the oven at 275-300 for 2-4 hours. No need for a brine, just nice layer of olive oil rubbed on the bird and stuff the cavity with your favorite spices and herbs and good to go.

On the older birds you will need to cover it to help with it not drying out on the younger birds no need for cover just cook for 2-3 hours.

Brine will help with the older birds on not letting them dry out on the long cooks. i just take and mop the bird about every 30-45 mins during the cook to keep it juicy.

I've never brined as I hardly ever use salt anyways but I am going to try it on my next whole bird. Lots say it is a good method.

Try an oven bake bag. They seem to make things better. Cook it really slow.

I LOVE roasted chicken!

With older and/or thinner birds I like to simmer them slowly for 2 hours or more over low heat in herbed water on the stovetop, then I remove the bones & skin and store the meat, usually divided light/dark. Then it's handy for use in soups, salads, pasta dishes, and chilis. The meat is always tender & flavorful, and its goodness can go further by using it in dishes like these.

We like to brine and put in an oven bag if we use the oven,but we like to use our Showtime Rotisserie(Ronco) the best.It browns the chicken nice and the flavor of the meat and skin is awesome with alittle poultry seasoning. Will

Back
Top Bottom