1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Your chickens fly?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ice329, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ice329

ice329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    I have one girl who hangs out with a couple Guineas, the Guineas fly real good, the chicken flys a little until yesterday... They were across the pond and the Guineas took flight and right behind them was the chicken....! a good 45 yards right over the water... I thought I was gonna have to save her but she did it... Proud poppa=Me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Beautiful girl ya got there [​IMG]

They can fly when they really want to. I mean they can't soar like an eagle but I have seen them go some serious distance for a chicken. My girls stay on the ground for the most part. Sometimes they like to see who can go higher in the mulberry tree but they don't fly out of my yard. I did have one game bantam ( I rehomed her for this reason) that could really fly. I was trying to catch her one day and she took flight from the tree and didn't land til she was 3 houses away. Of course I live in a neighborhood that you could reach out your bathroom window and borrow toilet paper from your neighbors too so maybe her distance really wasn't that impressive [​IMG]

3. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey beautiful bird you have there and no drought an athlete. I have several game mix hens that I see fly from a standing start in the space between my shed and fence about 3 ft straight up to the shed roof about 14ft no problem. They regularly fly over my 6ft privacy fencing ?

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    all of my flock can & do fly over 6 foot fence from the ground!! So I had to clip their wing feathers.

I found one on top of the chicken coop 8foot tall....Not good, when I have neighbor Dogs, Cats & live in the wild of Alaska.

Yesterday I found a mink in the fish scraps bucket for my dogs! .........It was sure pretty, but now I know what has been scaring my chickens!

5. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    My Blue Andalusiana fly like wild birds! I have to keep them wing-clipped. I've never seen the Welsummers even attempt to fly further than up on my shoulder when I am sitting in the run talking to them & handing out treats.

6. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    If my BOs can fly, they are keeping it a secret. The use their wings to propel them when they run, and sometimes get a foot or so of air under them, and that is good enough for me!

7. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    My buff orps aren't so good at flying anymore since they are full size but they do manage to get over the 4 foot fence around their coop.

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    My BO crosses will clear a 6 foot fence with no problem if they can see the top easily. In areas where I use deer netting for fence, the top is apparently hard to see, they misjudge the height (6 to 6-1/2 feet) and can't get over.

9. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE hens fly all over the place to get away from my EE roo who's too heavy to clear the 7 foot fence but it is fun to watch him try.

10. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Most chickens do not fly very often. The heritage breeds are able to, especially the Mediterranean types. I have yet to find a sexlink who can do anything worth being called flying. I do think what they are raised with does make a difference. I got a rooster from a lady who kept them with tons of guineas and heritage turkeys. He was the best flying chicken I ever had. She also had a few Muscovies she kept with her geese. The geese did not fly and neither did her Muscovies. When I brought her Muscovies here, they saw ours flying, and learned how to fly.

The only breed of chicken that I know of who can truly fly, I mean actually fly!, is Jaerhorns. They can fly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by