Your Chickens & the ROAD

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmeeter88, Oct 27, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    For those of you that free range, how do you deal with your chickens going near the road? Are they instinctively afraid of the road or what?

2. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    uh... no... chickens will indeed cross the road and be smashed. [​IMG]

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Heck NO!! I wish mine would stay away from the road. I'm afraid they will get run over. There was a thread just recently posted about this issue. Some suggest keeping the Roo penned up so the ladies will stay near. My ladies go with or without him![​IMG]

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    They may become 'chicken patties' if they don't look before crossing![​IMG] Sorry, not funny.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm lucky, my birds don't venture down the drive way enough to reach the 5 lane highway that is bumper to bumper during rush hours. If they were closer though, I don't doubt they'd get hit by a car. They barely fear the cars that do come in our driveway and take their lovely time getting out of the way. I've driven past some so close that I could open my door into them, not to mention how they hang out under cars till the engines turn on.

6. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to pen them in next year... I have a feeling that they are going to eventually be brave enough to venture towards the road, and then... into the neighbor's yard!. We'll see though.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm lucky. My chickens would have to travel a quarter of a mile, across two cattle guards and past a herd of cows to get to anything that even remotely resembles a road.
    The only vehicles on our road are ours, the neighboring farmers checking on their cows, and the mail carrier. We are all aware that there may be chickens crossing.
    I did find my chickens one day headed down the "hog path" to the neighbor's house. This would not have gone over well because she has commercial broiler houses. I hurriedly shoo'ed em back towards our place. The neighbor agrees to do the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by