Your chicks really need one of these!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by azygous, Jun 27, 2016.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I got the idea to use a cat napping pod for my chicks as a transition from their heating pad cave when I was moving them into the coop so they wouldn't get into the habit of sleeping in the nest boxes.

They slept in it until they got old enough to start learning to roost. So I moved the cat bed out into their chick pen so they could use it during the day if they wanted. Little did I know they'd use it to nap in until the four chicks were seven weeks old and could barely fit all four any more.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell me you've seen chicks in anything more comfortable looking.

3 people like this.
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

that is so sweet!

3. nharbison0722

nharbison0722 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Now that is adorable!! Thanks for sharing that!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The chicks are nine weeks old and still cramming themselves into the cat pod. Lucy, the largest of the four and the only EE without face fluff, was just perching on the edge since she's so big. But lately she's been squishing her big self right inside with the other three. It's a very tight fit, and doesn't seem this is going to work for much longer. They may need to just use the straw-filled feed sacks like the older girls do.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016
    That is so awesome! Thanks for sharing that! I almost want to put my dogs bed out in the run for my girls. So you normally full a feed bag with straw for a bed for them? That's interesting. How well does that work? I put a bale of costal hay out for my girls who LOVE to run and jump and more importantly- jump off of like a skydiver- from the top of the bale. You're the best! Thanks again for the pics and sharing! Neil

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What a brilliant idea! [​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Well, chickens have down time, called loafing. And I thought maybe they'd like a cushy place to do it. The older girls especially like loafing on the feed sack cushions since they're well, old, seven and eight years. But the babies spend a lot of down time resting in their pod. I never thought it would be such a hit and for this long.

I just stuff the empty feed sacks half full of straw so they lie flat so the chickens don't slide off. I staple the sacks closed, but lately I've been sewing them closed on my sewing machine. It lasts longer than staples. And when they get pooped on, which is often, I just take them out of the run and hose them off.

8. nharbison0722

May 26, 2016

Gonna put my dogs bed- that he never uses because why would he? He uses mine!- outside tomorrow. Also about to empty a bag of feed and want to try that out as well!
    Thank for the brilliant ideas! Keep em coming!

9. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Great idea! Want to try it!!!!
    Marie

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They look so comfortable in there. At a certain size, they just need a second pod for the overflow birds. They remind me of the dogs I used to have. I had one house dog - who had a very small dog bed because she was very small. When the kennel dogs would visit , they all tried to cram into the little bed., even to the point of laying on top of current occupant. I guess that is animal nature - dogs, cats, chickens, love to shove themselves into tight places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by