Your cool duck story!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wafflesandmoe, Aug 10, 2013.

1. wafflesandmoe

wafflesandmoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    OK so i thought it would be cool to share the stories of how you got your ducks or what your ducks have done, or anything else. I know our feathered friends can do some crazy things sometimes!

OK here is my duck's (Waffles) story:
    We were out on our ranch when we went to go check on A duck nest that we had found. But when we got there, the hen was dead and the nest and eggs were laying there. There were seven eggs, and with very little hope we took them. We found an old waffles box and put towels in it. Then we took A lamp, took off the shade, and left it on its side so that it would shine over the eggs. I made sure to turn them and keep them moist for a couple of days. After a few days when i candled one of the eggs i could see something moving. Then the next day there was a crack in the egg. But we had to drive home that day and it was an 8 hour drive. So, we put the box in the car and plugged the lamp into a converter and drove home having to change the lightbulb once. And that night the egg hatched. Sadly it was the only one that hatched. But we named him waffles and we got a chicken named moe, and Waffles thinks he is human and moe thinks she is a duck :) Waffles loves swimming in our pool while moe watches from shore occasionally flying into the water. Waffles is now 51 days old and the sweetest duck in the world!

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I like the happy ending to your story. I've only owned two ducks in my life.

Five years ago, my dad had done some work for a lady who owned a lake with a flock of mallard ducks. He asked if they were for sale and she said, if you can catch one, its yours. He spent a few hours and finally got one. He brought it home in his lap and it pooped on him. He gave it to me and said here's your duck. I put him in our kennel out back. He flew home two days later because he was a wild malard duck.

A few weeks ago, we took a long ride out to a farm where I bought a pretty crested duck named Chrissy. Chrissy was a boy who was supposed to be a girl. He costed $5. I wrote the whole thing out here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/crisco-the-crested-duck-and-the-owners-farm-description

3. wafflesandmoe

Aug 10, 2013
    Wow thats really cool! Its funny that it turned out to be a guy! I love ducks and i hope we can get more, they are the coolest and have the funniest personalities.

4. Britesea

Britesea Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    this isn't my duck, but it is funny! Very surreal.

5. wafflesandmoe

Aug 10, 2013
    lol thats great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by