Your dream farm/home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Faded Intimacy, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Faded Intimacy

Faded Intimacy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    I know alot of people here eithier live on farns or have nice homes.. but I also know alot of people just own a little bit of land and dream of owning something 'better'
    So everyone, what is your DREAM farm/home?

I personally would love to own about 15 acres and little bit north(so I would have a winter!) and own enough chickens to supply me with a few birds a year for chicken and enough to give me eggs; I want two cows to supply me with Milk to make into cheese and other milk products, not to mention just cows milk.. yum! I would probably have a few other random farm animals.. like sheep. because I freaking love sheep. :>
    and a little english cottage with a PERFECT garden.
    -perfect-

[​IMG]

Yours?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Boy this is fun. My land lay out is on my other compute 300 miles away though... It's pretty hilarious.

It would be where I am now in the middle of city/development or really anywhere hospitable land wise but...

With razor wire fence plus electric wires enclosing at least 5 acres.

With a double gate at the front. The first gate opens to let in cars/peds, the second gate requires authorization, unwanted visitors would fall though a trap door and that pops them out back outside the fence.

A bunker under the house.

A turret atop the center of the house with a landing for observation.

2 acres of grain

1 acre of year round produce

1 acre of animals, mainly poultry for meat and eggs, possibly a pig, and some goats.

1 acre of fruit trees/berry bushes

Two escape routes in case of invasion

Video monitoring of all edges

border of tall thick trees

A pond

A 20 x 40 barn

And a cute little fruit stand in front to hide the razor wire and acompanying encampment.

Of course, in reality, just a small personal plot that people don't do illegal ativites on, trespass, ride ATV's on, get arrested from/picked up off of and isn't located in one of the highest patrolled areas in the city.

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    We bought our dream home three years ago.

We came across it quite by accident; we talked quiet often about what we wanted in the way of a home to retire to and then this house just fell into our laps.

It’s quite a bit more house than we ever would have been able to afford but the people where in a big rush to get out and sold it for $40,000.00 less than what it had appraised for.

The only thing it didn’t have that we wanted was a place for chickens and we have since built a chicken house so now in our eyes it’s perfect.

Just keep dreaming and saving your money…one day that perfect opportunity will present itself and you need to be ready to jump on it.

4. silkiechicken

WOW! That's less than a car! I want to retire.... but that's 40+ years away, literally.

5. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:DH has another 8 years before he can retire with full benefits...we just got an early start on the house.

The house was more than $40,000.00, we got it for that much less than what it appraised for.

6. silkiechicken

LOL! That's what I get for staying up late and not sleeping due to paranoia about the turkeys being stolen in the night! 40k LESS Key word LESS. [​IMG]

7. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Are you worried about two legged or four legged varmints?

8. silkiechicken

Two legged... just today I had a pair of middle aged male people drive up in a beater car with taped up back windows asking me if I had a petting farm... I only have chickens and turkeys. They heard about me from a shadyish restaurant a bit up on the hill that I've never been to.

Add that to reports of random cars driving up to our mail box and checking in it at 1 am, pedestrians who do not respond but run when asked to identify themselves, a few transients, a tent found in the woods, blankets under trees.... the list goes on, it's the two legged that I worry about more than the 4 legged at this time of year. I know how to deal with the four legged. It was never really a problem till they cut down and developed the places around ours, made surveying paths though our property, thus opening up many access points.

Some day on my dream farm, I'd love to have milk goats! A small tractor to turn the soil with a red barn with a loft would be wonderful. I would like to stay in Western Washington or Northern Oregon, west of the Cascades.

9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I love building castles in the air [​IMG]
    My dream land would require me convincing my cousins to sell me a few of their acres . . . smack dab in the middle of their thousands of acres. That way, all the land surrounding me would be owned by family who never visit their land. Fantastic [​IMG] Of course, it's in Texas, which basically equals perfect weather with none of those vile winters I keep hearing about. Yay for sun! [​IMG]
    I'd have chickens, of course, bantams and large fowl (SO likes one, I like the other). A few goats to take care of the grapevine that chokes the trees around here, some sheep because lamb tastes so yummy, and of course several rabbits, because I like chickens too much to butcher them regularly but I have no great affinity for rabbits. My SO would have a small orchard, because he's always wanted one, I would have my vegetable garden and bee hives . . . Two muscovies would acquired as soon as possible, and a great pyrenees or two. Plus I'd build an agility and earthdog trials course for my cairns, westies, and scotties. I'd probably get myself a skunk, because I want one and no neighbors would be there to find out. All this with access to the private lake . . . In all honesty, my cousins already own my dream land. I'd just add my animals and accessories. I look at it and picture brahmas roaming free everywhere, pooping on everything. Ah, bliss.
    It's nice to think about, but I know I'll never have that kind of money, and I'm not sorry. I told my SO when we decided to be together that I don't care where we end up as long as I'm never deprived of my pets and poultry.
    It's way too late, I'm babbling like a brook . . .

10. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    I think I'm living in my dream house.

The house itslef is sort of a money-pit, if you know what I mean, buyt we are working on that -- new windows, insulation, siding...it's over 100 years old.

We only have 2 acres, but we live on a dirt road surrounded by hayfields. Only 3 neighbors, all family, and we live the farthest back from the road than any of them and the house is barley visible for all the big oak trees around it.

The best part--the part that makes it a dream-- is that it was given to us. Free! No mortgage! I'm never leaving this place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by