YOUR EXPERIANCES! YOUR OUTCOMES! YOUR PREDATORS & PESTS!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rockmissjess, Mar 3, 2014.

1. rockmissjess

rockmissjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    I would like to know EVERYONES experiances with pests/predators killing their chickens and how have you handled the situation and the outcome including which predators and the living style you have for your chickens.. i know this is a random like post but i think it will be very helpful to newbies such as myself and others if we know all the chicken vets experiances and their outcomes :) thanks so much TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDS!

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Tennessee there are coyotes, bobcats, racoons, opossum, weasles, the list is huge. I do have a great pyrenees dog who keeps them all away. I have only lost one and that was due to a hawk.

3. Sagetown

Sagetown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2014
    S E Oklahoma
    Here in SE Oklahoma predators are abundant. From hawks, and hoot owls, to coyotes, and foxes, and the most pestilent are possums and Rat (chicken) snakes. Last fall I purchased some day old chicks from Cackle Hatchery, and built them a nice pen and coop to protect them from these critters. Then as winter set in, I began to notice some strange goings on in the barn and around my chicken run. So, before something drastic happened I purchased a large animal trap and set it up in the barn. It caught two large possums, and a large orange tomcat.
    [​IMG]

4. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    oh wow! my grandma had one of those in her attic.. it nearly gave her a heart attack.. she says there are nasty! (she lived in tennesse)

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Chicken Predators from the easiest to the most difficult to handle in my opinion

#1 Dogs

#2 Owls

#3 Opossums

#4 Skunks and other members of the weasel family except minks

#5 Hawks

#6 Raccoons

#7 Mink

#8 Foxes

#9 Coyotes

#10 Cats including bobcats

6. BugGuy

BugGuy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Dogs, Cats, and Hawks are my biggest problem during the day with coyotes, cats, and racoons at night. I built my roost/coop out of a cattle stock trailer and reinforced the walls and floor joints with welded wire and spray foam insulation. The critters come around at night and walk around the coop, crawl under the coop, and occaisionally paw at the coop, but can't get INTO the coop. During the daylight hours when the girls are out, I have the roosters keeping watch over the girls with me keeping watch over all of them. The outcome for land predator encounters is usually a loud noise and a trip to the dump. The outcome for aerial predators that hang around or circle is usually a loud noise and they get the hint to fly somewhere else.

7. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Hawk

Wesel

Cat

Mistory Animal

8. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Coons around here are way to overpopulated so there are a ton of them around here. We also have foxs, bobcats. coyates,. Stuff like that. I have only lost one hen to a coon. I also trap them before they get to my chickens. I have 5 traps set every night.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    and how are you handeling the situation? or have they won?

10. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    I am not allowed roo's here.. so what would you suggest to keep the girls safe from the coyotes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by