Your experience on chicken breeds and heat

kiraboo

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 6, 2015
I live in south Texas, where it's plenty hot and very humid (usually just in the 90's, but stifling with the humidity) for about 5 months out of the year. I've done plenty of researching on breeds and know which are more heat tolerant, but there are just some breeds that I feel I *must* have, lol. I have my chicks on order from MPC (coming in April, YAY) but I can still change things around. They're mainly friendly, egg-laying breeds or purely pets:

Australorp
Barred Plymouth Rock
Blue Easter Egger
Columbian Wyandotte
Exchequer Leghorn
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Polish
Salmon Favorolles
2 Silkies
Super Blue Egg Layer
Speckled Sussex
Wellsummer

I was originally was only going to start with 8, but chicken math already got to me and I have 13 on order, lol. I also really wanted to add a banty Cochin in (for my kids), but am unsure if their fluffy butts can really handle our Texas heat. I might swap the Leghorn out with the Cochin (pets vs. eggs.... hmm). The coop we're building now has an insulated roof with LOTS of ventilation, a large, fully covered run, and will get a bit of tree shade. Are there any breeds that stand out to you as especially "wilty" in the heat? How about the cochin? Thanks for any firsthand advice. :)

Really, the only breed that stands out as being less heat tolerant would be your Silkies and Cochin. Maybe the Favorelles too. However, our weather here in TN is pretty brutal during the summer. We see high 90s and high humidity. I keep Silkies and Cochins, and while they hold their wings out, do a lot of panting and lay less eggs, they do manage. I freeze gallon milk jugs of water and drop them in their water buckets and set out shallow dishes of water for them to stand in when they start looking miserable. A good spray of water on the dirt in a shady portion of their run makes them happy too. They go crazy over frozen melons too :)

Good luck with your new chicks!

Huh, I always read that Silkies were more heat tolerant than lots of others. That's why I love to hear from real chicken keepers. Thanks for all the advice!

We are in north eastern Missouri where we have hot and humid summers. Temps can reach 110 degrees, I have one suggestion for you. Fans. We have a large fan set up outside our run and a small fan mounted on the ceiling of our coop. Our Orpingtons do not tolerate the heat as well as our Welsummers do but with the fan to roost in front of, plenty of shade and cool water, they do fine. I also give them treats that I keep in the refrigerator such as apples and table scraps. If it gets too hot, I sprinkle them down with cool water. If you plan for their comfort I don't see why you still cannot have to have the flock of your dreams.

Well that confirms my decision to run power out to the coop, thanks! I was guessing misters won't work well since the air is already humid... but fans are a great idea. Already running water out there, might as well. Egads do I HATE digging trenches out here in this awful clay soil.

Back
Top Bottom