cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I am trying to catch a raccoon with a foot trap right now. What are your experiences using foot traps for coons? I have marshmallows out for him and arranged them so that he (probably) needs to touch the trap to get them. Last night I didn't make it hard enough and he got them without touching the trap. I'm pretty sure I will catch him tonight if he tries to get the marshmallows. I covered the trap with some leaves (part way) so he doesn't see anything shiny. I just want to here your stories of using a foot trap....what has happened? What did you bait the traps with? How long did it take to catch a coon?
Pictures would be great also!

Thanks!

- clucky

P.S. I will post a picture if I catch one tomorrow.

I am trying to catch a raccoon with a foot trap right now. What are your experiences using foot traps for coons? I have marshmallows out for him and arranged them so that he (probably) needs to touch the trap to get them. Last night I didn't make it hard enough and he got them without touching the trap. I'm pretty sure I will catch him tonight if he tries to get the marshmallows. I covered the trap with some leaves (part way) so he doesn't see anything shiny. I just want to here your stories of using a foot trap....what has happened? What did you bait the traps with? How long did it take to catch a coon?
Pictures would be great also!

Thanks!

- clucky

P.S. I will post a picture if I catch one tomorrow.
I've always used live traps[i have barn cats] sometimes i have a coon the same night, longest wait was a week. if you don't have any cats or dogs you might try a small dab of wet cat food as bait. seafood or tuna is the most popular with the coons here

Thanks for the input!

Still no raccoon. I'm pretty sure a mouse or something small enough not to trigger the trap ate it.

I have a combination of live-traps and dog-proof foot-hold traps. Former I bait with a carcass. Latter I bait with marshmellows and / or sardine juice. I eat the sardines.

I have a young opossum running my traps eating bait from foot-holds. I would catch him pretty quick is live-trap placed in same area. Opossums seem to have real tight home ranges so they will spend a lot of time in a given area each night.

I have game cameras so can see what is going on.

To the OP, which foot trap........exactly, as in brand, type and size.......are you using? And how have you prepped the trap, and how have you anchored it? Where have you put the bait in relation to the trap?

Can you provide a photo or two?

And as suggested, a game camera setup to monitor the whole thing is helpful to monitor what is happening. My game cameras will also pick up mice.......

I would use a live trap. You can still shoot him if you don't want your predator alive. But it's easier and more humane than foot traps. Also safer for any other cats and dogs in the area, and you don't have to worry about your chickens stepping on it either.

My dog got caught in a paw trap once. It was horrific. I'm not against hunting or shooting a predator who's into your henhouse.... but paw traps aren't sporting.

I would use a live trap. You can still shoot him if you don't want your predator alive. But it's easier and more humane than foot traps. Also safer for any other cats and dogs in the area, and you don't have to worry about your chickens stepping on it either.

My dog got caught in a paw trap once. It was horrific. I'm not against hunting or shooting a predator who's into your henhouse.... but paw traps aren't sporting.
Dog proof traps will not be set off by chickens, cats or dogs. All I have ever caught in them Raccoons and Opossums. They are a form of foot-hold trap.

sorry but got to disagree with you, trapping is way harder then hunting and shooting, also may i ask what foot hold trap your dog was caught in? as a trapper i have been caught in number 3 coyote traps (more then once i suck at setting them lol) and it don't hurt.

to the OP,

what type of trap you running? coil spring, long spring or dog proof.
i like using duke dog proof traps and have a decent catches on them.
but the biggest tip for anyone trying to trap is set on sign, best thing to learn is find the coon trail, set the trap close or on the trail, with bait you should catch it.

Back
Top Bottom