Your favorite "backyard" breeds, and why.

Oblio13

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
New Hampshire
Just wondering what your opinions are.

Unlike most people, egg or meat production is way down on my list - otherwise I'd only be able to justify keeping about three hens.

I think temperament, appearance, hardiness and foraging ability are more important than productivity for a backyard hobbyist like me. I don't want more eggs than I can give away; I want entertainment from "mobile lawn ornaments", a tilled and fertilized garden, and diligent bug patrollers.

Last but not least, interesting eggs are a must - dark or blue or small or whatever.

I started out with RIR's and silkies, and my interest in more exotic breeds grew from there. Lately I'm enamored of Marans and have a batch of Black Coppers in the incubator now. I'm thinking about a few Wheaton Ameraucanas.

How about you?

HI Oblio13,
We're in Mass. and just got Wheaten Ameraucanas last year, got a batch of Wheaten and Blue Wheaten in the incubator right now to see what we will get. Were abouts are you in New Hampshire? Hubby goes to NH about once a month. Tried to candle the eggs today but some are so thick I can't see a thing, I'm kinda impatient it's only been 5 days. Our Ameraucanas are true breed from some of the top breeders in the Ameraucana Breeders Club. There are a lot of people out there that think they have real Ameraucanas only to find out they don't. .

Our Ameraucanas are nice and friendly, I prefer small hatches so I can sit and handle them all when they are little, it seems to help.

Let me know if you're interested.
Cindy

Last edited:
I havent been doing this too long but I have bantams and I like the friendly and interesting to look at birds. I like Cochins and Mille Fleur D'Uccles and right now I want to get som salmon Faverolles and I really love the modern games they are so friendly. The carry on conversations with me, I just dont know what thye are saying.

My EE's were always full of personality and were pretty funny to watch in the yard. They loved to chase bugs, then run up to me to jabber about it!!! They would also move around the house peeking in the windows and jabbering. On top of that they both layed beautiful blue-green eggs.

I loved the Black Austrolorps I used to have(passed now due to foxes
barnie.gif
). They werent the most exotic birds but they were very friendly and laid very large brown eggs for me everyday
big_smile.png
. I also absolutely adore the cochins I have. My golden laced bantam cochin(lilly) is so cute!! I also have a barred bantam cochin roo whom I will never give up. He is huge for a bantam but is just beautiful and very talkative. A plus, hes only crowed twice in his 8 months!!

My mille fleur banties are full of pep, and very tame. I also have a couple of mutts, americana crosses that are real sweet. They give a light bluish green egg 6 out of 7 days a week.

Tanya

How about bantam naked necks ? They are very broody , docile , and friendly (although they don't like getting their picture taken ) . They are definetly a conversation piece !
lau.gif

DSC00103-1.jpg

P.S. That's oatmeal on her beak ! Her crop is so full it looks like the size of eggs she lays !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom