Your favorite bedding for baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by azygous, May 13, 2010.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm getting four hatchlings in a few days. I'm leaning towards using pine shavings for bedding this time. Last time I used peat moss, and while it was absorbent and kept the nursery odor-free, it was terribly dusty, though it didn't seem to bother the chicks. Those are a year old now and doing well.

So, what is your favorite bedding for newbies?

2. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    horse pellet bedding

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I used pine shavings and that worked really well - a huge cube of it was really cheap from the feed store and it lasted the whole time they were "growing up". Good luck with your new babies!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use a wire brooder. No bedding to mess with. All their poo, spilled feed drops down into a metal pan that I dump and disinfect daily. [​IMG]

In the adult coops they all get pine shavings. I do move the chicks over to a larger coop once they get fully feathered and are large enough. Then the bedding inside the coop is also pine shavings. Ive been using the TSC brand.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Let me chime in on the pine shavings choice. I even use it in my COOPS. It's great stuff! And it's not expensive at all.

6. yakmama

yakmama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    The South
    I was nervous about using pine shavings b/c of the horror stories I heard about the babies eating it and getting sick. I use paper towels for my babies.

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Me too. I have aspen shavings in between paper towels to aid with absorbancy. When they get older I will remove the paper towels, but for now I am playing it safe.

8. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    I put Pine shavings down then a puppy potty pad over that for the first few days till I know they know the food and the extra absorbancey of the pad pulls any damp from the water dish or even poo. Thats my 2c anyway
    Becky

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Paper towels over shavings. After the paper towels get too dirty and the chicks are eating poultry feed fine then roll up the paper towels and you have a brooder of shavings without the risk of overeating them at first like some have experienced.

10. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This year I am using wood pellets (just as cheap as shavings) and I'm finding that they have really kept the odor down. Previously, I have used pine shavings and would have an odor problem within a few days. I still have a problem with dust, though, but now I believe the dust must be coming from their mash rather than the shavings like I thought before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by