Your favorite breed/breeds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ozarkmomma, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    When I started with chickens last year, I had EEs, Cochins, Salmon Faverolles, Welsumners, Brahmas, Buff Orpingtons, and Marans. I chose my chickens based on egg colors so I could have a pretty egg basket. LOL< who knew there were so many kinds of chickens?? I thought a chicken was a chicken. Any way after a year, I have narrowed my favorites down to the Cochin (my hands down favorite), EEs and Marans. I still have a few Salmon Faverolles left but have rehomed the other breeds.

What is your favorite breed and why? Just curious.

2. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I like my Easter Eggers the best for the same reason most who have that type do, they lay colorful eggs and they're unique looking.

-S

3. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I love my RIR because she's so smart and attacks the dogs when they do wrong by any of the chooks, but pecks EVER SO LIGHTLY when I hand feed her.
    I love my faverolle because she's an airhead but very inquisitive, gentle and always answers my questions the vocal darling. Lets me cuddle her too.
    My Plymouth rock is funny because she always charges up excitedly to me at me first when she sees me, but turns tail and runs as soon as she realises I don't have the snack bowl!
    My D'uccle is sweet because she's so dinky... I'm thinking maybe airheaddedness comes hand in hand with these feather footed breeds though [​IMG]

4. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    I LOVE my Partridge Cochin! She is so funny! Although my Australorp is really friendly and actually enjoys being around people... and my Welsummer is the smartest.... yet my slightly dull (in a good way!) Black Copper Marans will (not old enough) lay pretty eggs... OH! and my Belgian D' Anvers is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!(<--Get one!) And then there is my Speckled Sussex who is super pretty, but thinks I'm the devil.
    To tell the truth I wouldn't be able to decide my favorite breed... I love them all!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. Moroccan Rooster 127

Moroccan Rooster 127 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    WYANDOTTES all the way!

6. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    I love them all! But if I had to say which was my favorite, I'd choose either Buff Orphintons, Polish, Silkie, Salmon Favarolle, Wyandotte, and more and more and more... [​IMG]

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Dark Brahma.. [​IMG]

I love the large fowl breeds,, my DB roo will purr when you hold him and pet him.. how can you not fall in love with any critter that purrs to you when you pet..[​IMG].. that and he is the MAN when it comes to the flock.. I had him in the house for 3 day last month and the hens outside were like HENS GONE WILD on spring break.. [​IMG] no one would go to bed, they all stayed separated all over the yard.. just all willy nilly.. [​IMG] the day I put him back out.. he has them all in the little flock all nice as you please and had them all in bed by 8:30pm... ( it took me over an hour the night before to get them all back inside..) Lafiat Rocks...\\\\

Pink

8. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    Quote:Ha Ha, that's great. I only have one roo right now, not even sure what he is, He was supposed to be Welsumner, but we are thinking he has some RIR in him. He's gorgeous and quite docile for a rooster. Am hoping to add a lemon blue cochin roo when my chicks get here.

9. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    My current favorite breed out of the few I have is Old English Game Bantams, but I've got some Gold Brabanters coming up (4 weeks old now), and I'll be getting some Ameraucana, LF Cochins, and Wyandottes in a couple months, so that may change. I also have one bantam cochin who is really docile, but I like the OEGBs because the hens (at least the ones I've hand raised) are generally nice and friendly; I had one that would fly up on my shoulder or knee and sit, and she would also scream at me to give her treats. lol! Unfortunately, something got her early this past spring, but I ordered 2 more of her variety to replace her (chicken math!), which have turned out to be a pair (4 weeks old now). The only downside to the OEGBs is that some of the roosters can have a bit of an attitude. The one grown OEGB roo we have is generally OK, but he does sometimes get a bit mean and try to attack feet/shoes when I go in his coop. He also gives the major stink eye if I start messing with any of his ladies. He was worse earlier in the year, and he seems to have mellowed a little now, but he did pull a feint on me the other day (he acted like he was getting ready to attack by getting in his little fighting stance, but then he just changed his mind and decided to inspect the water bowl I'd just refilled).

For other breeds I'd like to try at some point in the future, Modern Game Bantams look really interesting (and slightly funny) with their long roadrunner legs, and d'Uccles are very cute. I'm also interested in Buff Laced Polish, but I've read several posts where people were having horrible luck with extremely aggressive Polish roosters, so I'm undecided on the Polish.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  10. AmyL

AmyL New Egg

Aug 1, 2009
    North Central Texas
    As far as roosters go, my favorite would be the Black Langshan. Very gentle, but keeps a sharp eye out for predators...herding all the hens into the woods or under the coop when a hawk flys by...or even a buzzard. I've read that other folks have had similar behavior from their BL, as well. Our first BL roo died a couple of months ago and I have his 3 week old replacement in the coop nursery, right now, along with some more EE & Gold Sex Links.
    My favorite hens are Black Copper Marans & EEs...such beautiful eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by