your favorite egg laying / pet breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raymondjames, Nov 1, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    whats yours? need some ideas for my new flock i am purchasing... my bator isnt doing to well we dont think... all ready am getting silkies, cochins, ameracauna, australorp, leghorn. [​IMG] flocks [​IMG]

not meat birds.. Me = vegetarian... cant imagine an animal like my little chickies dying at day 38. [​IMG] if mine were at a factory like that, it would only be 2 weeks [​IMG] ... but theyre not HAHA!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I love Black Stars...I agree about the meat birds. I'm vegetarian too [​IMG]

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I find the plymouth rocks to be a fantastic breed. They're smart, active and friendly. I have one that would much prefer to be in the house on the couch than outside where she belongs [​IMG]

My wyandottes are a bit quieter but also not hesitant to approach and they're growing on me.

My australorps are timid. They don't come over for treat time. I have a very flighty ancona and an EE that's taking after her, so when I get rid of those two I'm hoping to see the australorps become easier to approach.

Moral of the story: Plymouth Rocks. Black stars are a cross between barred rocks and rhode island reds so I'm guessing some would pick up personality traits from the BRs.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Buff Orpingtons--regarded as a good egg producer but definiitely not an everyday layer. Sweet, gentle, like to visit. broody.

Speckled Sussex--like to visit and forage in my weeding area. Gentle. Good egg layers.

5. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    black australorps!!!! i also love Buff orps!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Anything rare, colorful, and preferably laying an egg color other than the typical brown. [​IMG]

7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    do you realize that by consuming eggs, you are actually eating little peices of future meat?

8. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Quote:Only if they're fertile...and even if they are, well, they're eggs, and I think it's okay. I know where the eggs are coming from, and that the chickens are treated well.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sicilian Buttercups, silver Leghorns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by