Your Favorite Egg Recipes PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Chickie Mama, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Chickie Mama

Chickie Mama Out Of The Brooder

I sell my eggs, but sometimes I have a few extra dozen that I have not been able to sell and need to use. I would LOVE some new egg recipes to try!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quiche is always a great way to use up eggs as are deviled eggs.
    Here is my first contribution - Pesto, goat cheese and sun-dried tomato quiche,
    not my own but fantastic courtesy of http://allrecipes.com...[​IMG]

Ingredients
    4 tablespoons pesto
    1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
    4 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup half-and-half cream
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    8 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions
    1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spread pesto evenly in the bottom of the pie crust. Sprinkle goat cheese over pesto.
    2.In a large bowl, beat together eggs, half-and-half cream, and flour. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over goat cheese in pie crust. Arrange sun-dried tomatoes on top.
    3.Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until done.

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can add eggs, or more eggs, to a lot of things. Meatloaf is a good one for me, as I love it. I make bread pudding and use a recipe that calls for lots of eggs -- makes it custard-y. I also like to make lemon meringue pie filling -- I don't necessarily bother with the crust. Scrambled eggs with stuff in them makes a good dinner - just add veggies of choice, and maybe some cheese or bits of meat such as ham or bacon. Hard boiled eggs in potato salad. Home made pasta (rolled) or Chinese dumpling skins, or pierogis, if you are ambitious.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Now for the deviled eggs. Add mayo, dijon mustard, horseradish and pickle juice to the yolks and you won't be able to stop eating them.

5. Chickie Mama

I will try the Quiche!!! Thank You!

I love deviled eggs too... but my chicken's egg yoke's always come out rubbery. My husband explained that fresh/natural/free-range eggs are different from the eggs we get in the store and don't need to boil as long. Is this true?

I grew up in the Suburbs where eggs came from the grocery store. My husband, a farmer, born and raised in the country, is probably right about this one but don't tell him I said so! [​IMG]

6. Chickie Mama

Pickle juice! I'm a foodie... why haven't I heard of that before? I will do that!!! Thanks!!!

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Regardless of the source of the eggs, if your eggs come out rubbery you are cooking too long.

Use your oldest eggs to help them peel better. Are you using an electric stove? If so, put the eggs on in cold water completely covered, turn it to high and bring to a boil as soon as it is boiling turn the heat off and let them sit.
    If you're using gas, turn the burner to simmer after it reaches a boil and cook for 1 more minute.. Then just let the eggs cool slowly.

Most people overcook - almost everything.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. Chickie Mama

So many great ideas! Haven't made bread pudding in a long time, put that on the to-do list and the lemon meringue. I don't make enough desserts!

9. dragonfly130

dragonfly130 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't have the recipe because I just eat them but I vote for the deviled egg's.[​IMG]
    That's how we use up our extras. They never last long.

10. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by