Your food dish is not a football

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lucy4, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the food/water up on a couple two by fours so that they won't constantly be filled with shavings. But moments after cleaning/refilling the food bowl, the chicks take it off the 2 x 4's, shove it around the brooder, and then cover it up with shavings.

UGH! Once they're in the coop, I'll hang it, but til then... any ideas? I suppose I could hot glue it to the 2 x 4's, but I'm afraid the buggers will still find a way to get it off and then eat the glue.

2. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    How about putting a couple of nails around the bowl to "bracket" it on top of the boards? Not so tightly that you can't get it in and out, but tight enough so they can't "shove" it off the top of the boards.
    A little extra iron won't hurt the chickies... [​IMG]

3. Lucy4

Hey... you know that's a great idea! You're a smart egg. [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I think I screwed them right to the 2x4 so the little buggers couldn't get them off.

5. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Aw, Mooooooom, you're no fun!!!!

Love,
    Chicks

6. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Those were great ideas! I've been having the same problem with that.

Sonja

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I dont know how people use shavings. I've tried and they are the WORST bedding on the face of the planet.

use pellets people! That solves half the wet bedding/messing water issue right there.

Anyway, I use those grippy rolls, the stuff you line your shelves with, or open jars with. Its this stuff, usually cream or white though http://www.containerstore.com/browse/big_product_pic.jhtml?PRODID=10024143

and
    then you have to use a riser thatst the same circumference as the waterer.

edit to finish the thought: you put the gripper on the riser and the waterer on the gripper.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  8. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they try to eat the pellets? [​IMG]

Or can they eat the pellets?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  9. Lucy4

Quote:ha.

Well, someone has to be the parent around here! Clean up after yourselves or you're all getting time-outs.

love,

Mom

10. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, today I put some nails into the board, so their feeder would in place. I put the nails in at an angel so they sit uner the rim of the feeder. So far it's staying put!! Woohoo!!
    Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by