Your Goose shelters Please post pics

Discussion in 'Geese' started by thasista, Feb 1, 2012.

1. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I have searched this forum and want to see pictures of shelters people are using for their geese. I would be particularly interested in shelters provided for free-range geese.

Thanks

2. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    I am getting ready to build a goose house and will try to post pictures as I go. My daughter and I cobbled together a shelter last spring when I hatched out my first geese. Being women we really didn't have any experience in building so what we did was take 2x4's and built a rectangular frame that was 6' by 4' and 4' tall so that made the front and back a 4' by 6' rectangle. We cut the left side off for a door and refastened it with hinges and a hasp. For the sides we cut a window section out that was the length of the side and fastened it with hinges to fold down and out and covered the opening with hardware cloth. The sides of the structure was 4 by 4 by 4. We then took some metal siding left from the barn and placed it on top of the whole thing for a roof. We used a power saw, screws, and a power drill to construct the whole thing and covered each side with plywood that we painted with several coats of exterior paint. This poor little stucture didn't even have a floor and worked well for us until the geese were old enough to handle the weather. My geese stay out day and night now in a fenced in area and I haven't had any problems with preditors but they are right outside of the house.
    Now that we are incubating more geese we are moving them further from the house and so I thought they would need to go in at night for protection from any preditors. This time we are going to do a better job of building. I have plans to use decking boards for the floor, and to frame out the stucture better and to place siding on the outside. We are going to go pick up some used windows to put in the sturcture as well for venting. Before we built the first stucture we used an old dog house and placed a regular light bulb in it to help keep it warm. We blocked the opening at night with a piece of wood and a cement block. Geese do not need food or water when placed in for the night and we just changed our wood shavings as they got them dirty.
    After saying all of that I want to just add that I did look at the coops that were posted on here that men built. That helped me but I don't think that I will go at it as if I am building a house to live in as the men seemed to do. First because I don't think I need it to be quite that sturdy and second because I don't have the strength to place studs that close together and then put the sides up when we frame it out.

3. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as you can see it has a poo through floor. it works great. the coop just got divided the other day when I had to make haste after finding an egg in the yard. I have found 2 since in the nest boxes

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    What is that slat thing for the floor? Did you build it like that or did something come pre-installed? I like that floor!

5. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

the slat floor is something I found from an old English design. I scaled it up slightly for the geese. it works so good that in warm weather you only need to hose it out every month or so. I went weeks before the poo started freezing before it got knocked through the slats. that's been the only draw back. once it warms above freezing I rinse the floor down. when it stays warm the movement of the animals knocks it through. by the way the feed trough is a cargo carrier from a Dodge truck that goes behind the seat. works great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by