Your Health Inspections

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mavrik, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    What do you include and how often do you do chicken health inspections?

On my list...
    Comb color
    Crop for abnormalities
    Breast fullness
    Foot issues
    Pasty butt
    Poop firmness, color, etc (not during hot weather, all seem runny)

I haven't decided how often yet, maybe once a month. (aging flock seems to be having issues now)

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I don't do a specific check. But I am out with them first thing in the morning, multiple times during the day and last thing in the evening. I know them all so well I just notice if something is not quite right with one of them.

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I pretty much check all of that stuff daily... I have way to many chickens now... but I pick 2 or 3 or more a day to check over really good... besides looking over everyone briefly.
    I love how they go braaawk at night when I'm patting there chests to see if anyone is skinny! Tooo funny they get so ticked at me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  4. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Classic. The babies (3) get checked for pasty butt at least 3 times a week. Sometimes there's less firmness on the floor but it's hard to tell who's doing it. Why check their breasts? There are 5 big girls and 3 little ones who are seperated for at least another month, or 2. By the way, chicks who drive Chevy trucks rule [​IMG]

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I basicly just put my hand under them and lift them a little. I'm feeling for that big breast bone if its easily felt then I'm checking that hen over more to see if she's loosing weight. I also like to stay in the coop at night and listen when their all roosting. You can hear every little sneeze and breath. And a super bright flash light looking for bugs. Just a few weird things I do...
    Thanks! And its not just a chevy... its a Diesel... makes all the difference in the world! [​IMG]

6. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    When I was eating chicken I used to think their breasts were manufactured in a tube in a lab somewhere. How could they manufacture a 6'2" chicken? That's why I will never eat a chook anymore. That and they are way too entertaining now that they run around the ranch all day. That doesn't seem wierd (your health inspections). One of the babies does have blonde middle toes. On another note, I always thought Duramax was Chevy. What do I know, I'm all Dodge now. Edit That should be in random ramblings, sorry

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by